GP 440 Questions

vrod

I know I ask a lot of questions on here and always need help but I have another one about a sled I have no idea about.
I had a guy call me that has a GP 440 for sale but he has no clue about the year. What years did they make these? The seat is bad but he said it did run last year befor ethe belt broke on him. Any help would be great on these sleds.
Thanks again,
Doug

the gp443 started in '73 i believe. Just sold a solid running '73 GP433 with electric start for $300. Think yamaha changed the sled and updated to slide suspension in 76 and called it the gp440 thru '78

The first Gp 433 was the 72 Gp 433. (71 433 was the SS, 70 GP 396). The 72 was a single piped twin carbed engine. The 73 was the different styled GP Square headlight. In 74 was the first year for the reed engine. Single carbed, but ran like a raped ape. 75 & 76 were almost the same with the introduction of the Exciters in 76 also. Brad

I had a 75' GP and it ran like crazy! It was a tiny sled for a 440 that no one really expected to get out of the hole so fast. Mine had a later style hood on it with all the plastic vent louvres. 76' and up used these hoods which are the same but just have the vents cut in them. Unfortunately the sled was too rusted and patched up to even have a chance at restoring. The thing with mine is it had a Tillotson HD-138 from a Ski-doo TNT. It worked alot better than the stock keihin but the intake had to be filed out a tiny bit to match it properly as it is a bigger carb than stock.

Back