Importing Sled

01sxr700

VIP Member
I'm thinking of buying a sled (06 Attack) State side and was wondering if anyone can help me out with the process. In some of my reading it says that I have to contact the US Customs and have them inspect the sled before it leaves, is this so? Is there any mods that have to be done to the sled? Do the sleds have a 17 digit VIN # and do they have a SOC label on the gas tank stating that they are for for aff-road use only? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have never imported a sled but I have imported several boats and trailers. I would contact the registrar of imported vehicles for all the details. Their web site also has all the info you need. Yes, if the vehicle has an engine, you need to stop at the US customes. You need to notify them of your arrival 72 hours in advance. I faxed them a copy of the title to officially start the 72 hour clock. The Canadians don't need as much notice but I used the same time window and faxed the title to them as well. In addition, you need a letter from the manufacturer saying that all the factory updates have been performed. Any dealer can help you get the document. I would not purchase a Yamaha unless all the paper work was in place. The other 3 brands are covered by NAFTA and easier to import. You can expect to pay duty at the border on a Yamaha as well as GST and PST when you register it. The speedo may be an issue unless it reads both MPH and KPH. The best advice I can give you is to research it to death before you buy. Good luck.

Importing

I was going to import a used sled last week and ModMMax is right you need to notify customs (at point of entery) 72 hours in advance. You dont need to get paper work from the dealer. When i called Customs they look up the year of the Yamaha i was buying and everything was ok. it just certain years like the older sleds. Here is the Customs Number for information 1-800-461-9999
and a web address www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.
P.S I miss those good Jokes you were posting this summer. ;)!

Just for you BenderSRX

Real Golf

A man was at the country club for his weekly round of golf. He began his round with an eagle on the first hole and a birdy the second. On the third hole he had just scored his first ever hole in one when his cell phone rang.

It was a doctor notifying him that his wife had just been in a terrible accident and was in critical condition and in the ICU.

The man told the doctor to inform his wife where he was and that he'd be there as soon as possible. As he hung up he realized he was leaving what was shaping up to be his best ever round of golf. He decided to get in a couple of more holes before heading to the hospital. He ended up finishing all eighteen. He finished his round shooting a personal best 61 shattering the club record by five strokes and beating his previous best game by more than 10.

He was jubilant, then he remembered his wife. Feeling guilty he dashed to the hospital. He saw the doctor in the corridor and asked about his wife's condition.

The doctor glared at him and shouted, "You went ahead and finished your round of golf didn't you! I hope you're proud of yourself! While you were out for the past four hours enjoying yourself at the country club your wife has been languishing in the ICU! Its just as well you went ahead and finished that round because it will be more than likely your last! For the rest of her life she will require 'round the clock care. And you'll be her care giver!"

The man was feeling so guilty he broke down and sobbed.

The doctor started to snicker and said, "Just kidding! She died more than two hours ago. What'd you shoot?

I've imported several sleds mostly Yamahas. Speedo isn't an issue because it's not mandatory equipment on an ATV or snowmobile. You will have to pay 6.9% duty on made in Japan product. 200 safety inspection fee as well. U.S. border will stamp your bill of sale with an export clearance stamp. A good web site for info. is www.riv.ca

I imported 3 yamaha sleds & did not pay the 6.9% duty.

The people at the border know less about importation rules than we do. I have got units in with no duty but have had to pay on some as well. When I go through Emerson they seem to know what they're doing. Came up through Fort Frances/International Falls with 2 units and didn't pay. All made in Japan units less than 15 years old I believe should have duty applied

I looked into this awhile and they told me they charge duty on snowmobiles. He did say they would charge the duty on cars/truck made in Japan.

Back