Finally!

yammiman

After a 10 year ban on snomobiles, the West Mullet Lake railroad grade between Indian River and Cheboygan is going to be opened back up to snowmobiles -DNR could not come up with an acceptable alternate route and FINALLY concluded this to be the most viable route - be curious to see how long it will be tied up in the court system because you know the residents along that stretch will probably file a law suit to stop it from opening - probably take another 10 years!!

Cheboygan just south of the Mackinaw Bridge. Im from Saint ignace but never knew that trail was closed. I do some riding at Black Lake

Even i know!

I know where Cheboygan is and I live way the heck over here in NH!
Right on the shore line in from Bois Blanc Is.

The WHERE of this is being muddied by the WHAT - this is a major victory for Michigan snowmobilers - as stated, this has been going on for 10 years! - let's just hope it does not go on for another 10 years with the land owners!

A couple of years back, we rode from Mio up the East side of Mullet Lake on a railroad grade and ended up in Cheboygan, then went up to the Mackinaw Bridge. Came back down through Indian River to Gaylord and back to Mio. Is there another railroad grade on the West side of Mullet Lake that's been closed? The one we were on was marked with trail markers all the way. It was pretty awesome. It was a straight, flat trail as far as you could see. "Rails to Trails" is a good idea. The trail through Alanson and Indian River sucked. It would be nice to jump on to another railroad grade to skip that section.
Shark

The one on the east side comes from Tower/Onaway - it runs along the east side of the lake for a short distance - the one on the west side runs pretty much the full length of the lake - was the only route from Inian River to Cheboygan until it was closed - almost sounds like you may have been on it when you came back :dunno:

P.S. - just looked at a map (should have done that first) you came back to the west around Burt Lake - never rode that trail - this section is pretty sweet ;)!

you're right about this being long over due. like you say hope this doesn't get tied up in court. rode that way last year. left from frederick straight up through gaylord to indian river. jumped on the lake but it was pretty soft so i said to hell with it and got on the railroad grade. took that up to cheboygan then back to millersburg, atlanta, lewiston, lovells then home. last ride of the year. it will be a great trail if it opens. ray

About time. Many homes very close to that trail, though. We will see if it really happens. Great for business through IR and Topinabee. If it is as flat and smooth as the RR grade from pellston to Mackinac it will be very fast! Some easy spots to jump on the lake and have fun out there too.

Somewhere around Alanson the trail disappeared and turned into a back road with little or no snow. Seemed like we rode that for several miles. We sure were glad to get back out into the woods!
Shark

Back