Stripped hyfax screw holes

chadg

VIP Member
Yup I did it. Thinking I am mr mechanic i decided to change both hyfax's on my 1997 600 vmax xtc and stripped the holes. The screws are still fine just the aluminum holes are stripped. the new hyfax's are on. I was wondering what my best options are here. One other thing is the aluminum that the screw screws into seems very thin. Like the srews fit perfectly. I can see the threads on the outside of the tracking. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you. :o|

drill em through and put nuts on the top with longer screws. or you can try and heli coil em. i would drill it through and use the nut.

stripped

Thank you that is a good idea. What is heli coil em mean? I was going to try to re thread the holes but the rail is so damn skinny I can see from the outside wear the threads were. After I get this mess straightened out do i have to adjust the track or should i be good to go. Thanks for your help

if you can see the threds on the outside it is to thin to Helicoil since you have to drill the hole out oversize to install the new helicoil threds.
so i would nut and bolt them.

had this happen before, what size drill bit, nut and bolt to use when you drill it through?

Thank you very much for the advice. I think I might try to rethread if that does not work i might use the nut bolt system. I am not sure what size but I can see where they drilled the original from the outside, I can see the grooves out side the hole versus inside the hole that is why it is scary. But if I can re tap and at least get the screw to bite a little and use lock tight do you think that will hold the hyfax. Hate for that to come lose doing 80mph. Thank you so much for your info

There used to be pics of how to do the nut thing(lol) on here before. Try doing a search under hyfax. Maxdlx

Just nut and bolt it and be done with it. No reason to mess with it and take a chance. You know if it comes out of the retaped hole it will do it at the worst time.

perfect hole?

All I know if that I nut and bolt it the hole that i drill will have to be 100% perfect or my bit may come out of the side wall and then I am screwd. But this does seem like my best option. The manufactured hole is drilled so tight that I can see the threads from outside of the aluminum (nervous). ANy tips on how to drill a 100% perfect hole.

My 2 cents

Fill the screw hole with a product call J-B Weld ( it's a two part compond that you mix ) fill the hole till it shoots out the top. let it set 24 to 48 hours. After it has set file it flat across the bottom, centre punch it and re-drill down the middle...Go slow at it and you'll do a pro job of it...Happened to me, oh yah don't forget to add the beer it helps with thr stress factor...L.O.L ;)!

mission success

Thank you all for the insight really appreciate it. I took the rethread approach because i would have had to drill throu another inch and come out perfectly on top. I retapped and what happenend was the tap found the original grooves so basically the first two or three threads were the only ones to get retapped. The screws really tightened up nice and hard but i am still going to use lock tight. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa where is the snow my friends ;)!

I started the sled after i put the new hifax on to see how everything was working, machine started to run a little rough pulled the plugs and they were very black and wet what may have caused that :dunno:

Last edited:
The cause would be the higher temp and humidity. It was running fat as a pig. Maxdlx

Thank god!! I was reading my manual and it said may be engine damage i was like yikes i am screwed. I thought that it might be the temp thank you very much for the reply

Back