carb cleaning?

chadg

VIP Member
1997 vmax 600 xtc with 1876 miles. Just bought the sled and I hear an awful lot that you have to clean the carbs every year. I have been ridin motorcycles for 10 years+ never cleaned the carbs never had a problem. But If snowmobiles are different please let me know. It just seems that you have to take the carbs totally off to even be able to get in there and clean them good. I was wondering first off should I clean them? Because the sled startts on the first pull and seems (seems) to run fine. Or should I do it anyways because it needs to be done more often? And what is the easiest way to do this? Thank you very much for your input it is greatly appreciated :dunno:

thank you for the site. Quick question if i have a shut off valve and close it, let the sled run out of gas is this an effective way to keep the carbs clean over the summer? Thanks for the replies

Put in gas stabilizer first, run sled till your very sure its reached the carbs and turn it off. Do a search on fogging your engine, a lot of guy's do that if they are not going to start the sled ever during the off season. I just add stabilizer, start mine and warm it up every two weeks, so I can smell the two stroke.

fouled plugs

changed the hifax started it up to see if everything was working good and the machine was runnin a little rough and smokey. Pulled the plugs and they were black and pretty wet. It ran fine last week when I started it thou confused. :dunno:

Back