Dont understand?

chadg

VIP Member
I was wondering if someone can help me out with what these things are or what they mean thank you very much

Reeds?

Hauck B.B?

Helix?

speedo bearing?

Sheaving?

Reeds-they are located behind your carbs in the rubber boots that attach to your motor. If you take off your carbs to clean them and remove the for bolts on the boots you can inspect them for chips and cracks.

Hauck B.B.- Hauck big bore. When you replace your pistons and cylinders with larger ones.There is more to converting to a b.b. "hauck" is just one of the many companies that makes big bores.

Helix- Located in your secondary clutch. different angled helixes effect how fast your sled upshifts and backshifts.

Speedo bearing- located below you secondary clutch where your speedometer cable attaches. If you take the cable off and remove the 3 bolts on the housing cover you will expose the bearing. You can then check it for wear. There is a square key in there that runs your speedometer. If your speedometer quits working one day that is usually a sign of the bearing goin b/c the key will bust.

Someone else will have to chime in for the sheaving.

mul

chadg said:
I was wondering if someone can help me out with what these things are or what they mean thank you very much

Reeds?

Hauck B.B?

Helix?

speedo bearing?

Sheaving?

Reeds - Reeds are the caged item between the carb and the engine. These distribute the gas and oil mixture into the intake port on the engine. Spacing these with a plate helps give a more direct shot of fuel to the engine, in turn eliminating the low end "burrble". If you dont want to buy spacers you can notch reed cage itself to achieve the same outcome. Instructions for this can be found here:

http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/ReedNotch/Reed_Notch.htm

Hauck B.B - Is an engine big bore kit made by an aftermarket company called Hauck Powersports, Inc. More information about this can be found at:

http://www.hauckpowersportsinc.com/aboutus.aspx

Helix - A helix is a cam like unit mounted on the secondary (driven) clutch which controls sidepressure and backshifting characteristics on the sled. alot of good info on this can be found here under Cluching:

http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/TechIndex/sledTechIndex.html

Speedo bearing - is the bearing on the driveshaft that is located on the speedometer housing side (right underneath the secondary clutch). If you start to notice erratic speedometer behavior, or if it quits - it probably sheared the key off that sits in the housing. This is a good sign that the bearing needs changing.

Sheaving - I think what you're looking for here is the clutches have sheaves on them which is the face that the belt sits in.

Wow very nice I just learned 5 new things. Exellent thank you very much for your time and info. What would be involved in a clutch kit for my 1997 vmax 600 xtc? A helix Wieghts and tighter springs. About how much money would you generally spend on a clutch kit thank you guys. On the sheaving i was told to sheave it. Did he mean sand it down so the belt sits in there lower?

How do i find the sled tech center? thanks for the links

Last edited:

Back