home built trailer

aSRX600guy

I've decided to build my own trailer.

my basic plan is a single place enclosed with a strong enought and low enough roof to put another on top. I'm planning to use auto mini spares

I figure the one on top will be out of the worst road spray. The whole thing will be much more aerodynamic than a standard side by side. It should be more usable for general cargo too.

I figure 4' x 4' x10' be big enough for most flatlander sleds with a low windshield.

coments?
pointers?
leaves or torsion axle?
do I need to find an axle stronger than 2000lbs?

I have built several trailers, atv and sled over the years. Due to yours having the potential to be somewhat topheavy, I would definetly go with a 3500lb axle, and leafs. Torsion would be real tippy IMO. I'm also a fan of 14 or 15" wheels/tires.

spend the extra cash and get trailer rated tires. Make sure the two tires you pick will be enough to support the weight the trailer will haul. I made the mistake of using 13" tires on my last trailer build and the tires limit what I can haul to 3000# or so even tho the trailer is built strong enough for much more. My next build will be 15" tires on 3500# leaf springs! I used rear hubs from a front wheel drive car. Dropped the axle so my traier deck is about 10" off the ground. The lower trailer is really nice for loading, unloading, and heavy loads. I am on my way out today to replace the deck boards with 5/4 treated. Keep in mind the weight of materials when building. With the 5/4 treated decking the trailer gets pretty heavy on its own. Look forward to see your design. Oh, forgot to mention, I built (overbuilt) the frame with 2X2 square stock and added some 2X2 angle to the floor. I have hauled well over 3K in the trailer, but the tires really take a beating with that much weight on it.

01sxr700 said:
aSRX600guy said:
I'm planning to use auto mini spares

These tires r only rated 4 55 mph if I'm not mistaken and I don't think that load rating is very high

I've been using them on my current rusted to heck homebuilt my dad bought when I was a little tyke. that trailer was originaly made for full sized auto tires. I bought the first donut from someone after a blowout on the road on a sunday night. I found the second one in a parkinglot. they pull much nicer than the auto tires. nice and skinny for low rolling resistance, and good for cutting through snow.

the speed rating is because they aren't matched when used on a car, and half the time end up on a drive axle with a diferential. I've seen this inbalance in size lead to an axle fire after driving over 70, but the tire was fine. I've done about 200 mile streches averaging 75 with them already.

if 1 can suport 1/4 of a caddy or a mini van, I feal safe with 2 holding up 2 sleds and some other junk. they did OK hauling away my old sidewalk, at least 15' long, probably well over a ton. if they don't hold up, I'm out nothing. I'll look on the side of the road for another spare before any long trips. ;)!

I think I'll go with a wider heavier axle than the 4' OC 2000 lb I was originaly thinking. maybe this one
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_31652_31652
but its a bit wide for what I was thinking.

I'm not too worried about tipping. I'm a truck driver, so I'm used to a 13' 6" high trailer thats 101" wide. so for I've kept everything but my sled and bike shinny side up.

I'm planning on using fairly light square tubing and angle iron thats a similar gauge. the height of the sides will add lots of strength. if I can find what I want galvanized for a decent price, I'll get it.

I have built a trailer 8' by 10.5' long ..It has 2" tubing for the frame, and decking for the floor..I used a 3500 lbs axle welded spindals, hubs from a Toyota car ..Its heavy duty ..I will take picture when I get it back, getting a soft cover made for it right now out of transport tarp...

Sounds good I would go with the wider version. I've built severial trailors I get all my axles and parts at tractor supply in flatrock on telegraph left at the split . Good stuff good price northern is ok but I like to see and touch what what I'm buying to put under my trailor. also I know a good place to purchase steel downriver wholesale. Good luck ;)!

I would go 5' wide lots of sleds skis will be 48" wide, and in a 48" wide trailer if it bounces and the sled settles the skis widen out. post some pictures when done.

IMG_0775.JPG

Back