Camcorder suggestions?

Sno-Xr

I just bought a helmet cam off E-bay and need to buy a Camcorder with A/V input. I'm not looking to break the bank, looking for a reasonably priced but decent quality Cam that will work OK in the cold weather.
Sony's HC36?
Thanks for any input. ;)!

Dave, you may want to try a local pawn shop for a low dollar camcorder that you are not worried about destroying in a 'mishap'. One of my local pawn shops has an RCA with video in for $95 CAN but I haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger yet. That's almost cheap enough to open up and try and wire in a homemade remote pause/record button. I think it was super8 analog, but for $95, I could land on it and not worry too much about whether it survived. Thanks for the Ebay link, that's pretty cheap.

I like the way you think Ian, CHEAP!!! lol

PS I never plan on having 'Mishaps', they just happen!! :o|

t t t still looking for an inexpensive Camcorder to use with my helmet cam.
Anyone else have any ideas?

I bought a viosport helmet cam and I thought about buying a camcorder which I would connect it to, but then I came across a thing called a "PVR" "personal video recorder" or something like that. It was pricey, but it perfectly fits the inner pocket of my yamaha gore tex jacket. A camcorder is far more bulk to have on you, if you don't have a backpack, but then you "need" a remote lanc control and then you need a more expensive camera. So, your choice. That helmet cam was pretty cheap though! Congrats, my cost twice as much.

When I got my helmet cam I got a Sony handy cam its a DCR TRV350 model Digital 8. Has worked well for me, and ive wrecked a few times with it on. You can probably pick one up pretty cheap now

The word is Floundered not wrecked . . . :lol:

Picked this tip up from a recent Mountain video . . .

Thanks for the input, Ive thought about the PVR, just dont know that much about them.Also we dont have a decent Camcorder now, so I was hoping to upgrade to something newer.

Thanks Ding, that means I "Floundered" at the Muni TY ride last March. Sounds alot better!!lol I was using the word "Incedent" for a while. ;)!

PVR's are great. I have a Archos av 500 30gb pvr. The thing is, it's compact, you can store files on it, you record something on the TV right on it, using the included cables, take it to your neighbours and look at it there or something. Plus it has a screen, so you can watch the video on that ting. But the size, weight and data compabilities made me buy it. It's not that much to learn, pretty much like windows, only simpler. But the price is a major minus. I've had much use of my pvr, long before I've even used it for the purpose I bought it for. My pvr has a better resolution than the helmet cam is capable of, the pvr has a 640 by 480 I think. It takes 30 frames per second, which is normal I think. Just ask if you got questions. :)

AllVipedUp, thanks , I'll check overstock.com.

norwegian, The suspense is killing me, how much did you have to pay?

Around 600 usd with toll here in norway, but I see that www.viosport.com has an identical for 450 usd. I know, still pretty steep. You will need to check if the connections of your helmet cam are compatible with that thing though.

Last edited:

some camcorders are not compatible with helmet cams. Your almost gauranteed that most sony's will work. I have the helmet cam, camcorder combo and All the wires will drive you nuts after a while. with this setup you will want a backpack and the lanc cable to turn the cam off or you'll be watchin and editing hours of video.I also have the Archo's av500 pvp, 100 gig and bought the helmet cam from archos that has one wire with the lanc and mic all on the same cable. The archos cam only has 420 res, but the one wire is very convienent. However it doesn't make that much difference in the res as long as the feed your using when you watch it is a decent connection.

Back