Belt Drive Testing!

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
Okay guys, we are currently up in rhinelander wisconsin testing out our sleds and I tested out the belt drive that I have been talking about for awhile. I will try to get pictures and possibly videos up later but I am on 56k hook up. I am running an aluminum drive axel with our special hub on it and so far, it has held up incredibly. I have 2 miles on the sled so far of hard miles of pretty much dead stop drag racing and oval track racing. I did probably about 25 dead stop acceleration pulls and the aluminum has held up perfectly. So far I am really impressed and I am going to plow a 1/2 mile track tomorrow so I can get some accurate numbers in terms of performance. I am also testing out the Powerinc pipes so I will get some good info tomorrow with the Ice track and the radar gun and performance benefits. So far what I have noticed with the setup I am running now are the RPM's are way up from what they were with chaincase and stock pipes all the way up at 8600 RPM. I will keep you updated.

Yes, when we were doing the track tension on my sled, we pulled the track to spin it to get it to the track tension nuts and the track spun very freely unlike how it acted with the chaincase. There is also alot less rotating weight with this setup. It is pretty warm out where we are riding so I will probably go plow the track today and do my testing and everything on it tomorrow.

Okay, Just got back from rhinelander wisconsin where we did some testing but unforunately the conditions were awful. With the belt drive on, I ended up puting on 182.6 miles throughout the entire trip. About 160 of these miles were on the lake doing very hard accelerations braking and top end pulls with the radar. I am happy to say that the belt drive did not skip a beat. Even running the aluminum drive axel with the hub and not even hard anodizing them yet, the drive axel gears and everything held up like a charm. I did some small jumps with this setup aswell and landed with the track spinning and the axel looks absolutely mint. I am more then happy with how it performed. As for performance, it definitely freed up the drive system. The lower end though hard to tell seemed much more responsive and there is much less drag on the sled when just coasting to a stop so an added bonus to this system would logically be slightly better gas mileage. For top end pulls, With a 1" track studded with 144 down the center I ran 117 on snow. This is 3 mph faster then I have ever run on hard pack with the same conditions. When running these numbers temps were fairly high (low 30's) so I cant help but believe this system is adding 2-4 MPH on the top end. In the future I will try to get some back to back testing but couldn't find the energy after all the other testing I did. I can honestly tell you my sled has never ran that fast with the same setup besides the belt drive in the same conditions. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks

Did you mark the aluminum x-shaft with a line so you could see if you actually twisted it permanently/or not twisted it permanently? The great thing about aluminum is it is forgiving, you can twist the shaft and it will return back to normal.

didn't mark an X on it and felt no need to. You are definitely correct about aluminum though in it being forgiving. I will take out the axel shortly to send it out for hard anodizing but after looking under the chassis, it appears the aluminum has not twisted. I will take pics when I get it out but I doubt that it twisted and didn't break. If it broke, it would break off right at the splines and odds are it wouldn't twist. Will get pictures later. Thanks for the tip though.

He He,

Didn't litterally mean an X but did you mark a straight line down the "X shaft" Cross shaft to see if it sustained any permanent twisting? Does that make more sense?

Back