Belt Drive Dyno Results

2ooosrx

VIP Member
Website
www.cbperformanceparts.com
Hey guys, there has been alot of talk going around with this belt drive system and I thought I would put up a dyno we did today. This was all done on a track dyno to show any performance gains that the belt drive is offering over a stock Chain drive setup. Here are some graphs of the results and if you have any specific Graphs you want to see, let me know and I can make it up (aka, RPM and Speed, etc). The people who dynoed my sled were in shock when they saw the results as they did not believe that there would be benefits of this magnitude. They also said it was the most powerful SRX they had ever dynoed ;)! . On the Power vs Time graph, there was a 5% power increase going to the track!

Last edited:

Nice gains from the belt drive and great comparison from before and after. Now work on your clutching some more.

;)!

HP.jpg

That is a nice curve you have there, what sled is that on? Also, what gearing are you running there?

The guys who dynoed my sled said that the curve I had for that sled was ideal and not many others are going to have a better curve then that. I am not very familiar with track dynos but this coming from a guy who has done many sled before was good enough for me. If you have any suggestions that would be great aswell. You also have to keep in mind my RPM's need to be more in the 8350 range but I was running the clutching that I used for my stock pipes. I will add some more tip weight to it to bring the RPM's down.

Last edited:
2001 SRX with about 1000 miles on it. Stock track with 192 studs (track lug height and amount of studs will affect track dyno HP as well). I won't dyno a sled with studs much past 100 mph. Something about a track spinning 100mph just a foot or two away from where you're standing doesn't go over well with me! LOL! Running 22/38 gearing at 8150-8250 for RPM. Engagement was around 4200-4300 rpm as well.

In my dyno tests, I was running 1.60 gearing. I was told by the guy that runs the track dyno that the higher gear ratio numbers you are running, the Higher Power numbers are going to read. I was also told by him that a dyno graph such as the one that you posted up does not perform aswell as one that looks like mine, on the snow. I am not trying to start anything, just trying to get more familiar with how track dynos work and what exactly they tell you. Is it true that the higher gear ratio you have, the higher the Power is going to show up on the dyno? The guy who does the track dyno swears by it but just want to clarify.

Here is a modified version of what my graph looks like with the same x and y axis as your graph showed. The graphs look much more similar now. It seems that after the 100 miles per hour mark, the power starts falling on it's face but when going to 100, it stays pretty consistant.

Last edited:
Gearing will affect HP to an extent, it has to do with jackshaft RPM and the amount of belt to clutch contact at "X" mph. I can tell you that SRX graph above works very well out in the snow. I'm guessing your track dyno guy is Goodwin? Very smart guys, they seem to know what they're doing. Other things can affect track hp as well. Like engagement, initial helix angle, and secondary pressure can alll affect HP (showing more HP, but out in the field it will overshift). For instance an Apex RTX with stock 24/38 gearing runs right around 84-85 HP as well. I just had a turbo Apex GT on (MC Xpress turbo system, 12 lbs of boost on 91 octane, 260 hp claimed by them, talk about fun!) A run from 10 mph to 120 mph lasted just 3 seconds! 148+ hp at the track!

1-4.jpg

WOW, 148 at the track is very impressive. What is your track dyno rated at? How much HP will it take? As for my sled and how it performed on the dyno compared to in the snow, I can tell you that my sled with my clutching I ran for my stock pipes ran right at 8550 and pulled down just slightly to 8500 and pinned that RPM as long as I held it. The only clutching I need to do to my sled is throw a little more weight in the weights to bring down the RPM some for my new pipes.

BTW, you guessed our dynoer. lol

Last edited:

Back