Help Exciter bogs after 10 minutes ?

Vmax540

VIP Member
Website
vintagevmax.com
My Exciter after starting cold seems to run good but, after 10 minutes it bogs down and progressively gets to the point where it will not even move under it's own power. It will continue to idle but, won't even rev up beyond 5000 Rpms with the track lifted. This engine has a fresh top to bottom rebuild with seals, gaskets, pistons and rings. The stator coils and ignition coils check within specs. before and after it bogs. There is still 130 Lbs. of compression in both cylinders after it bogs down. The carbs are clean with all new gas lines and filter. If you let it cool down it will run for another 10 minutes. Any ideas..... ? (CDI ?) Thanks Chuck

Thanks for the reply. I will pull the carbs and check the floats. I have the choke adjusters backed off the whole way to make sure they are seating (I pull it from a warm garage). The plugs appear wet when pulled and how can I read them since, I only start to get it to operating temp. when it bogs ? Setting it to half choke doesn't help. I have bled the cooling system and it is circulating since the exchangers get warm ?

It Runs.... :) ! ! ! Thanks for all the help ! I bought it with a bad crank so, I never ran it until after the rebuild. Altough, I cleaned the carbs the floats were set at not quite 17mm's and the specs are 17.1 to 19.1mm so, I set them at a strong 18mm and no more bog ! I do have the air screws out 1/2 turn futher than the spec's. call for so, do I need to drop the pilot jets a size down ?

Nice to hear that you got it running:).
How much wrong were the floats?.

(Just curious)

Back