Vmax 600 electrical & thumb/grip warmer questions

mrc

Lots of questions here :)

Looking at the schematic there is several coils. 1 which is used exclusively for the Grip warmers (yellow/Black). 2 which is used to trigger the CDI and 3 which is tapped and used for the general AC lighting Circuit and also rectified for the charging system.

Question 1) Why do they have a seperate circuit for the grip warmer, but use the illumination coil to power the thumb warmer? (or in other words why couldn't they beef up the illumination circuit to handle the load and put the grip warmers there as well it would make thing so much easier ) retorical question probably.

Question 2) What is the current capacity of the regulator/Rectifier part?

Question 3) What is the voltage output of the thumbwarmer coil under load?

Question 4) What is the typical resistance of the thumb warmer element.

Reasons for the questions:

I would like to install a variable grip warmer system and fix the thumb warmer. I purchase from hot grips the variable heat controller but it requires DC voltage approximately 12 volts. The Stock Grip warmers are typically 1.44-1.76 Ohms which would result in result in about 90W in a 12 V Circuit (Which leads me to believe that the grip warmer coil probably puts out 6-7 volts under load (resulting in a more realistic 30W dissipation)

So to use the variable grip warmer I'll probably have to replace the grips to ones suitable for a 12V PWM system and come up with a 12V 3Amp Dc power source. There in lies the problem. According to the manual the Charging circuit puts out 2Amps max (no go there). I don't think the illumination circuit could handle the extra load (Headlight dim's when brake light goes on). So it looks like I'm stuck with boosting the grip warmer voltage (Transformer or DC->DC).

Can anybody offer an easier solution? (30Watt Rheostat seems a bit ugly and hard to find).

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Back