90 Exciter loses power

bija

Hi, I have a 1990 Exciter that seems to lose it's electrical power when trying to start when cold, warm engine seems fine. When it starts it runs great no problems at all, no stalling, or bogging. If you stop somewhere and the engine gets cold again, you can pull and pull and pull, with what seems to be no electrical power because you can watch the headlight when pulling and it never comes on. If you keep pulling you will see the headlight come on dim when pulling, once you see the headlight it will fire and run great again. I'm thinking it could be the stator, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks Bill

Hi Bill I have a 89 exciter that has the opposite problem. Cold runs like a racecar warms up and runs like Sh@#. Have you figured yours out yet????

i have seen that when stator gets weak this will happen. it should keep taking more and more pulls to start the weaker it gets.

Normally if a stator coil has a temperature related problem, it will lose power when warm.

Check the spark (visually or with a tester) when it is cold and then after the engine is warm.

The lights work off a different coil than the ignition. The thing that may affect both is a bad ground. If it truly does have a weak spark when cold try hooking a jumper wire between the frame and engine.

You may have a fuel problem- not enough enrichening or flooding.

I have purchased a stator, but haven't installed it yet. It definitly is some type of electrical problem because you can tell when it is going to start, the headlight will start to get juice when pulling. I will update after I replace the stator. Thanks Bill

Back