Different oils in resevoir?...

S.S.Viper

Hey there...

Long story short...I've been using Blue Marble in my machine...buuut...for 2
years in a row I got caught with my pants down and not having a spare quart I've had to put 2 different brands in 2 diff occasions to get the light off...
Personnaly I'd like to keep one brand in there..but on the trail this weekend I had to throw 2 quarts of AMsoil synthetic to top it up(Oil pump froze I think)...curious if this is OK...?
I do maintain my Power Valves every 1000kms but should I investigate earlier or just run it?...

thanks

it is perfectly fine to mix oils or brands of oils , the only thing is you will lose some of the benefits of the expensive oil! the good thing , in your case , is that you put the best oil you can possibly have on top of your ok stuff!! :bash: lol..... which type of amsoil did you throw in there? H.P. or Interceptor? the hp is good for powervalves but the interceptor is best!....
.... give the interceptor a try for a year and then check your power valves, you might be suprised at how clean they are!

Last edited:
Ya know I just might do that...give interceptor a try...I guess each to their own with oil choices...but the power valves are my main regard...all I wanted to do is run a winter on each brand to give my own opinion...but crossing over kinda dilutes my results...I was also unsure if BM was synthetic or mineral based...
This year I think my oil pump was stuck wide open for the first 2 days, I just topped off with 3 quarts of Blue Marble start of season...Noticed the light came on and already had to fill up only after 200miles...arghhh.. I know from last year that my viper sips the oil so something was stuck...but the amsoil seems to be fine..and alot easier to get a hold of aswell...

Thanks for the input...

Amsoil interceptor is great oil, it is all i use in my two strokes. The four stroke now will probably get amsoil 0W-30

actually it is an amsoil 0W-40! it has a very broad viscosity range great for those cold mornings and higher operating temps. , your gonna love it!

Hmmmm..it looks like the interceptor is definetly what I put in my machine...Thanks for the info guys...I'm gunna run the rest of Marble out of my sled and take it from there...Curious if anyone knows the price difference between the 2...?

sleddheadd said:
actually it is an amsoil 0W-40! it has a very broad viscosity range great for those cold mornings and higher operating temps. , your gonna love it!

What have you been paying per quart, and whose filters do you usually use?

sleddheadd said:
it is perfectly fine to mix oils or brands of oils , the only thing is you will lose some of the benefits of the expensive oil! the good thing , in your case , is that you put the best oil you can possibly have on top of your ok stuff!! :bash: lol..... which type of amsoil did you throw in there? H.P. or Interceptor? the hp is good for powervalves but the interceptor is best!....
.... give the interceptor a try for a year and then check your power valves, you might be suprised at how clean they are!
:offtopic: I think we can take that with a grain of salt considering you sell Amsoil.
I personally wouldnt mix brands of oil. However, in a pinch I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Id suggest planning ahead better and making sure you have enough oil to make your trip, that or switch to a 4-stroke!

I wouldn't mix oils eather but.....thats me, i'm sure it's fine to do it.

amsoil is easy to find i started running it in my sleds this year bought
2 1/2 cases plus a qt. so i fill up then i keep the qt to carry with me
on long trips then just refill the qt when i get back home.

love the interceptor, looks different from the yammie lube , i looks like
motor oil, gold carmal color..

Octane said:
:offtopic: I think we can take that with a grain of salt considering you sell Amsoil.
I personally wouldnt mix brands of oil. However, in a pinch I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Id suggest planning ahead better and making sure you have enough oil to make your trip, that or switch to a 4-stroke!
no really it is ok to mix oils! its got nothing to do with me selling oil, i am just passing on some info. , it is fine to mix oils the only thing is you lose the full effect of the oil you want to run full time! i was just letting him know that he is not hurting anything by mixing the two and throwing a little joke in by bashing the blue marble. by my promoting amsoils product, every once in a while, all i am doing is helping out other dealers. i haven't sold one quart of oil through this site or my website. hopefully i will be advertising with ty soon, then i will , hope to benefit from any info. that i can help guys with. any oil that gets sent in for an SAE rating also goes through an API testing process and all tests are compared with other brands. every oil manufacturer should have copies of the results and should be willing to produce them. amsoil does excel in Almost every category except maybe a couple on the motor oil side. the one test we did lose on, out of the seven actual tests, was the cold cranking viscosity test . this test measures critical cranking speed in extremely cold temps.-25 degrees to be exact, in which case penzoil platinum beat us. so really , a grain of salt? that kind of hurts. i'm just trying to help.

I put some none powervalve polaris oil in my viper, because i was running low and that was all teh gas station had, gummed up my valves (i think and hope) now only revs to like 7500! Gona have to take that stuff out and clean the valves now

yamaholic22 said:
What have you been paying per quart, and whose filters do you usually use?
Yamahaholic, that 0W-40 is about$8.05 a quart and i run an amsoil filter, :bash: but you can take that with a grain of salt :rofl: , the filter is $14.75 but it has 98.7% efficiancy and filters down to 15 microns also is good for 1 whole year or 25,000 miles . they only make the filter for the 145 or 150hp motors , don't have one for the 120hp yet.but they do sell wix filters for those, they are $9.20

Royal Purple tech support told me the same thing. You can mix their oil with any othe two stroke snowmobile oil no problems.

sleddheadd said:
no really it is ok to mix oils! its got nothing to do with me selling oil, i am just passing on some info. , it is fine to mix oils the only thing is you lose the full effect of the oil you want to run full time! i was just letting him know that he is not hurting anything by mixing the two and throwing a little joke in by bashing the blue marble. by my promoting amsoils product, every once in a while, all i am doing is helping out other dealers. i haven't sold one quart of oil through this site or my website. hopefully i will be advertising with ty soon, then i will , hope to benefit from any info. that i can help guys with. any oil that gets sent in for an SAE rating also goes through an API testing process and all tests are compared with other brands. every oil manufacturer should have copies of the results and should be willing to produce them. amsoil does excel in Almost every category except maybe a couple on the motor oil side. the one test we did lose on, out of the seven actual tests, was the cold cranking viscosity test . this test measures critical cranking speed in extremely cold temps.-25 degrees to be exact, in which case penzoil platinum beat us. so really , a grain of salt? that kind of hurts. i'm just trying to help.

sleddheadd said:
a grain of salt? that kind of hurts. i'm just trying to help.
No need to take it personally. Think about it. You sell Amsoil and you are bragging the stuff up saying its the best.
It would be the same as going to a Ford dealer and asking them what the best truck is.

Last edited:

Back