Exciter Clutching Tweak ?

yamahappy

VIP Member
Last year I picked up an 91 Exciter II w 2400mi. As I have gone through it over the last year working out the bugs I have tried to maintain the most stock profile possible.
Just to make sure all the essentials were covered, when cleaning carbs, I checked all jets…Stock and correct for my altitude, also new choke plungers and springs. When cleaning the clutches, I replaced primary and secondary springs with stock oem new springs and set secondary to factory spec. I have good compression and a new top end gasket set. Carbs are synced and slides open all the way. The only variation from stock settings are my needles are down 1 notch and my pilot screws are out 7/8s instead of 5/8s If I don’t do this it just bogs. Belt shimming and alignment all good
Now to the root of it. I have acceptable low to mid performance. On hilly trails 15-35 mph she gets it done enough for now but when we break out onto a road, especially with a upward grade or a lake that is not well packed things aren’t so nice. Somewhere round 55-60mph she just starts to lose punch. I’m guessing its clutch issue. I have considered increasing secondary tension because it is free relatively easy.
I’m 250lbs geared up

Can you offer me any advice other than buy a new Vector?

Man, I really miss my Ovation

a very thorough cleaning, buffing of helix ramps and contact pads in the secondary.......spring set to factory spec.

Awesome Results

thanks for taking the time to answer ramblnman

Back