1999 Phazer bog! Clutching?

jaydaniels

VIP Member
I have just purchased a 99 phazer for my girlfriend and it seems to act a bit strange at low speeds. When you first take off it seems to bog quite bad. Hard to explain but if you take off and then just drive slow its almost as if the sled shifts into another gear and rpm's drop, then it is very boggy and under powered. If you slow down a bit so the clutches almost disengage then the rpm's jump back up. Once your going along faster it seems fine. Did the phazer's for that year have any clutching issues? Maybe in need more twist on my secondary spring?

No known clutching issues, but it sounds like it is time to inspect them to see if they need a rebuild. It sounds like they are shifting out too early and not back shifting. The secondary may be binding or the spring weakened. Could be porblems with the primary. You may also have problems with dirty carbs or worn reeds. Could be something even simpler like a belt/alignment issue.

Just go through it, you should be able to find the culprit. That is a rock solid sled, with by far the best fan engine offered in that era.

If you need tech info just ask.

Thanks. The sled actually work pretty good other than that. More power that I expected. Its actually has enough get up and go to make it quite fun to drive. The skis suck though.

Moderately aggressive plastic skis really change the way that sled handles. Night and Day difference. The SLP SLT's are a great ski for that sled or one of the less agressive C&A skis. You can get a set real reasonable form Rich Motorsports who advertises on this site.

Back