1990 Phazer Trouble

JonIggy

Hey, I'm new here and this site seems pretty informative. I hope you can help me with my problem...

I have a 1990 phazer. Started her up in late January, she ran fine. After I put 15 miles on, she starts bogging and backfiring. Well, we take the carbs off and clean them. We did a bad job so we ttok it to a professional who ultrasonically cleaned them with a pressure check on the seals. Put the carbs back on early Feb, sled starts and idled fine. Hit the flipper, only revved to 4000 rpm, and moved at like 10 mph. She also smoked a lot. There is a lot more details but this is the short story. To wrap things up, I havn't ridden all winter.

First thing I'd start with is the TORS system. If you had the carbs out and didn't get the throttle cable adjusted correctly you will experience problems. A simple check is to unplug the wires and plug them back into themselves to bypass the system.

Next would be to make sure that the little black plugs in the carbs got put back in the proper spots. Sitting here at work I can't rremember where they go. I know it will run funny if they are not right but again I don't recall what the symptoms are.

Yea we bypassed the tors system. Whe we took the carbs to the guy, he said we had the plugs in wrong. We had it covering the jet. However, it was there before we took the carbs apart and it worked fine that way. Now it doesn't run past 4000.

Same problem here, I posted earlier today. Just got off the phone with a buddy who is a Yammie mechanic. I got my plugs wrong too. I followed the manual whose pictures are hard to see. Anyhow, he said "if it has brass in the hole" you put the plugs over that hole. I know I did not cover one of the "brass" holes, so am going out to my shop right now, tear it down, move the 2 plugs & I bet I am bakc on line.

Same symptoms as yours, would not get over 4000rpm, smokin, idles rough, plugs are wet as can be. She is dumping fuel into the piston with the plugs in the wrong place. Will report back in a few hours. I am sure thats what it is on mine as I did place 2 plugs differently by following the damn manual pics!! :o|

Check your plug location, betcha thats it.

Rob

Got it, had 1 rubber plug in each carb in the wrong location.

Heh....... it looked just like it showed in the darn manual, next time I will go by what I see when I tear down, not by the pics in the manual. :o|

Running great now!!!!!!!!!! :ban:

Will go riding tomorrow now, just lost today. Oh well, a good lesson learned!!

Thank-you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fixed it today and I actually got to ride!!!!!!!!!!! :winterrul Thank you!!!!!!

Last edited:

Back