Hartman or MPI long track kit?

triplefastaction

Looking at putting in a 151" kit in my '97 MM. I've read up on the kits from Hartman and Mountain Performance. Just looking for some feedback from anyone that has used these kits and if one is better than the other. Thanks for the help.

hartman inc.

I did the hartman inc. one on both my 99 and 2002 mountain max. I went to 156". I am parting out my 99 right now on ebay. I got some pix of the tunnel.

mountain max chassis on ebay.

friends of mine used MPI kit they were pretty much the same pretty easy to install.

I just sold some extensions 141-156 today on ebay.

thanks

Here's my experience. The first coversion I did to my 97 MM was to take the track from 136 to 151. I used a skid frame extension but had to move the skid toward the rear to make it work. I ended up with a 8" gap between the drivers and the tips of the skid frame rails. While it worked, I always felt the ride in chop was compromised because of the location of the skid frame. Later I installed a cat skid and the problem went away. IMO, remove your track, reinstall the axle and drivers and the skid frame with the extension on it and do the math on your new track length to be sure its going to work.

The tunnel extension I used was an MPI. can't remember if there was instructions about stiffening the sides of the extension but in preparation for a road trip I tied the tail down on a trailer and bent the extension. Bent it back and added home made stiffeners but it always had a crease in it. Later I changed the tunnel so no big deal. IMO, no matter which tunnel extension you use, pay close attention to the strength of the extension. The kit may come with enough stiffeners to make it survive but if it doesn't, be prepared to do what is necessary to keep it from bending, either from tying down, lifting or carrying a gas can or back pack. Hope this helps you.

I have used a jack on my Hartman extension, carry 20# of survival gear on it every ride and tied down sled on trailer by it, no problems.
I like the way it tips up a little. No complaints about it or the rail extensions from hartman.

Last edited:
I have the Hartman 151" kit on my 98 SRXMOUNTAIN. Skid has been relocated & extroverts installed.

We were in Fernie, B.C. this past weekend and it worked AWSOME. Had a buddy of mine, with alot more mountain expierence then me, take it for a pull and he almost made it up to his own mark from his "extremely modded" Mountain Max. By the way his mark was just short of our other buddy's Apex Mountain mark. (I think the Pom Poms on the handle bars were holding him back)

Also, to make it transfer better remove the transfer rods & buy the MPI Transfer Enhancement Kit. You can also make them yourself.

These pictures were taken before I installed my transfer kit.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• SRX Mountain (1).JPG
    SRX Mountain (1).JPG
    538.4 KB · Views: 29
  • SRX Mountain (5).JPG
    SRX Mountain (5).JPG
    456.4 KB · Views: 15
  • SRX Mountain (6).JPG
    SRX Mountain (6).JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Fernie 2007 012.jpg
    Fernie 2007 012.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Fernie 2007 024.jpg
    Fernie 2007 024.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the help guys. One other question: I know that the Hartman kit has you relocate the W-arm, but the MPI kit makes this optional, as this is supposed to cause the suspension to "buck" and can bind it. Any experience with this? Thanks again.

With the Hartman kit there are reinforcements. I strap down my sled using a strap over the extension and have had no issues. I also regularly use the bumper as was intended and there is zero flex.

I have used Hartman kit;s and mtn performance kit's.I personally Like the hartman tunnel extensions the best.For rail extensions tracks usa has the best in the business.Hartman has some rail extension that allow the use of slide even on the extensions but i haven't tried them yet.

Back