Viper to Mtn Max???

CastleRocker

Will the trailing arms, jackshaft, reeds, or front shocks interchange? The Mtn. Max is a '99, the Viper is an '02.

Thanks and good sledding to you!

Erik

Trailing arms are different, vipers have longer spindles and i think different angles. If you were to use them you would need both sides plus the spindles.

Shocks should swap right on over no problem. Not sure about the rest.

Jackshaft is the same. I think the shocks are different. In 99 they would have been the SX style and the Viper is the SXR style but you can buy the mounting brackets

So if I buy the spindles AND the trailing arms they will fit? So that must mean the steering arm/radius rods must interchange as well? Still wondering about throttle cables and brake line as well.

Thanks again for your help! (and your ongoing patience)

throttle cable is routed different so I would have to say no. Does the MM mount the front shocks w/ 1 bolt accessible under the hood? I dont know for sure on this. was the 99 long traveled in the front?

radius rods will work, but the spline in the steering arms is different so you will need steering arms, trailing arms, and spindles from the same.

Thanks for all answers so far! I'll have to check to see how the shocks mount. I don't think I can access them from the inside of the hood, but I'll check on that.

Sounds like I should just hold out for some used aftermarket MM trailing arms. By the time I buy all the Viper stuff used, I could probably buy lightweight MM t-arms brand new.

I was had heard that a Viper cable had the same ends, but was just longer, so I could use a Viper throttle/oil pump cable for a handlebar riser on a MM. Same for the brake line. I wish I knew for sure.

Keep the answers coming! I've been "lurking" on this forum for several years and there are more helpful folks on here than on the other 4m.

Thanks again and good sledding to you!

I am not confirming that viper cables would work, but if you are going them, make sure they are from a mountain viper. The trail vipers had shorter cables, probably as short or shorter than the stock MM cables.

MPI list brake lines for all sleds up to 04, then 04 and up Viper as a different #. Not sure why that would be but my buddy rides an 04 viper so I can compare it to my mm this Sunday (his son rides an 03 too). I will also take a look at the cables but I don't remember anything being different when I cleaned his carbs this fall.

MtnMax600 said:
I thought the vipers and MM both used the clevis top mount and the SRX was the eyelet?

I you are right. The SRX has the bracket that allows the shocks to have an eyelet at each end. This also means the shocks do not have as long of travel as the stock MMax or Vipers do.

Well, I got some extended cables and brake line that came off a Viper.....hope they fit. Will try them out when I get back to the shop.

Sounds like the front shocks will fit, I just wonder if it's worth it? I just don't want to spend a bunch (more) money on a sled that only gets ridden a few times a year.

Thanks again for the info! I've gotten much better information on this forum than anywhere else.

Back