Surprise Animals

1998srx600

Yesterday, I watched a guy in front of me accidentally hit a turkey at 60 mph.
There was a massive cloud of feathers. I felt bad for the turkey but wished I had a helmet cam to capture the entire scene. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I hit a pheasant in my big truck this fall doing 70 right on the upper
right hand of the windy,dented my air horn some, just a little crap on the
glass, it disintegrated,couldn't find a thing left to it,scared the #$%&*
out of me when it hit...LOL

The guy I was behind was on an 02 SRX. The turkey was on the ground in a deep ditch beside the trail drinking or getting gravel I guess. It popped out of the ditch at the last minute, gave three flaps of it's wings trying to get out of the area and WHAM..Right into the right ski and suspension. Sometimes, when you follow someone, you see a pretty good snow cloud at that speed. The cloud of snow turned into a cloud of feathers in an instant. I almost crashed I was laughing so hard.

Last edited:
VenomMod said:
I hit a grouse on my dirt bike last summer. Knocked me right off my bike.

What hurt most? The grouse hitting you or you hitting the ground?

Last edited:
I hit a rabbit at 75 MPH once. Poor thing was trying to cross the trail in front of me. I grabbed a tone of brake but it didn't help, got him with the left front ski. Come to think of it, it was around this time of year, right before Easter.

Turned out to be my lucky rabbit. Was driving away (much slower) afterwards thinking about how sad it was this thing had basically died for no reason. Next corner there were two deer in the middle of the trail, both froze when they saw me. Stupid rabbit saved my life!

I got dinged on the top of the helmet this year by a wild turkey. Came over a hill at about 60mph and scared the pack a little bit, they all got away but I nicked one with the top of my helmet before I had time to duck. Gave me a little jolt nothing too much and the turkey flew away but scared the crap outta me

Hitting the grouse really didn't hurt too much, more of a surprise than anything. The fall wasn't too bad either. A few bruises and scratches. The bike had more damage than i had.

I had a grouse fly up in front of me a couple weeks ago and it bounced off the winshield.

grouse=partrige

grouse is the proper name for it. they are really stupid. i hit one years ago with my dad's 88 bronoII and all we saw in the mirror was feathers. dumb bird.

Had to lay down on my seat to slide under a moose, could not stop in time. I do not recommend this if you have a weak heart or bladder. Also does not make the moose very happy. Elk are always a problem where I ride early in the season. But the most dangerous animal of all is the newbie that just watched his first 2 stroke / cold smoke video and wants to jump the trail.

A K MtnViper said:
Had to lay down on my seat to slide under a moose, could not stop in time.

Holy cow!

Or should I say "Holy Moose!" Time to change the shorts after that one I'll bet.

Back