AMA Screws Up Again

cacsrx1

For 2009 the AMA dropped the Superstock class. The Superstock class is stock production 1000cc bikes with few modifications. These were bikes that the average guy can go and buy. The Pro race teams tune them to the nats a$$ and bluebrint everything which does make them faster.
Now the AMA is left with Formula Extreme ( 600cc bikes heavily modified and lightened), supersport( factory based 600's) and Superbike( heavy mod 1000's).
I dont understand why they would drop a class that is one of the more affordable classes to get into, and one that people can relate to? They are getting too greedy and only want big corp dollars. In the long run I think its gonna hurt the bike manuf. Alot of guys somewhat base their purchases on what wins races.
IMO I think the biggest reason for dropping the class is that the Superstock times are right on the heals of the SuperBike times :rulez: , and the Superbike Teams/riders dont like it.

Yeah its a blow to whoever wants to race in that class but, if you look at the lap times of the 600's and the lap times of 1000's they are basically a few sceonds apart.

I feel, every racer starting off should be in the 600 class. Then when you can prove that you can really race, you get some nice sponors and get a really nice modified 600.

AND....

when you are good enough to race and controll the power of a 600 modified bike. You should be a professional and race a highly modified liter bike.

I think they made the right choice. Look at it this way, if a guy can race a highly modified 600," and control it," then he is ready for a highly modified 1000.....well thats IMHO

Last edited:
They are still dumping privateers in Superstock (cheap bikes) infavor of mega dollar FX bikes. 99 percent of the teams in FX are on Supersport spec bikes because they cant afford a true FX bike. So what is actually going to happen is guys are going from basicly stock 600's to Superbike. From a REAL FX bike to Superbike is a HUGE jump in performance. They needed to keep the big teams out of Superstock and continue to use it as a stepping stone.

Last edited:

Back