Testing with a TRA

zzzman

Question: Has anyone on ty ever tryed to test with a ski-doo tra clutch (primary) on their srx? And if so, what were the results. I have done this on a friends 01 srx, with interesting results.

The tra runs real warm...even smokin hot if your testing. Lotsa Doo racers don,t even use em. How did you get it to fit on the crank??????

You would use a TRA off a 583 ski-doo. It has the proper taper.

Well, with a lot of tuning with the yamy primary. IE: 8bu, + numerous setups. We tested against a mxz 700. A good running one at that. The yamy clutch would come out slightly behind, or with the mxz. Then start to pull away on top by about 1 to 2 sleds past 100 mph. Now understand, both sleds are trail studded, (Hornets), trail sleds. Not race only.
With the TRA installed, I threw a setup at it that would be real trailable. We used the same secondary setup in both for comparison testing.
We ran both sleds many times, The TRA setup pulled harder every time out of the hole. (1 to 2 sled lengths) And would stretch a couple more on the mxz. My buddy said he liked how the TRA would accelerate from bottom to top. He thought it felt smoother all the way through. Im not saying the TRA is the best clutch for a srx, all im saying is these were interesting results. Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Just install heelclickers in your yamaha clutch for harder acceleration

Thoughts are if you spent some time on the Yammie clutching using the stock YXR primary clutch you would get similar or even better results. Very easy to improve clutching on a SRX..

I have a friend running a tra on a vmax4 improver with good luck. He swears by it. Personally I'd rather run cat clutches for the overdrive and the cost of the parts....CHEAP!!

Turk, you or anyone else run cut clutches on an srx?

We have played with the stock yamy clutch, with setups from here, and numerous other sources. Tuning isn't new to me. I have raced at the world series, 2002 on a doo and did quite well. I think we spent well over 2 weekends playing with several setups for his clutches. I would like a comparison between the best trail setup (yamy) against what I have in the TRA. That would be interesting.

well here comes the complicated part, what exactly do you call a trail set-up? i had a heel clicker in my viper and had some insane bottom end with good top end. same with the heavy hitters.

oh bye the way :wel:

Well, with the best yamy setup in it. It ran a best of 104.2mph in a 1000'. The TRA setup was quicker, but did not have a chance to put it on radar yet. Sorry. So, even if it was the same mph, (I can only guess....), it was quicker, and had great back shift for the trails. + The clutches on the TRA, and secondary were cool to the touch. Even after 3 to 4 runs.

I know this is an very old post but has anyone beside the ZZZMAN try a TRA on SRX with good results

I love the tra's on the ski doo's personally.I don't know them personally but have seen tra's on prostock polaris and yamahas.

Back