Motocross style or Modulal? What do you use?

I started out with a full face/heated shield. I wear glasses and keeping them clear was impossible. I switched 5 years ago to an open faced helmet with proview prescription goggles with interchangable colored lenses and a No fog mask. For the real cold days I wear a No fog mask and a baclava to keep the wind out. Warmth, vision, and fog are now not an issue. This system works for me. Soc

I used to swear by full face w/ electric shield. My electric shield crapped out on me mid season. So I decided to wear my spy goggles with my full face after removing my visor. I will tell you that this year that I am in the market for a motocross style helmet and at least one more pair of goggles. Only fogged up once (lots of off trail playing for a 285lb guy) A couple of minutes by the camp stove fixed that. This is where the other pair of goggles would have came in handy. Also need a different lens color, as the bronze is a little too dark for night riding. I never noticed how annoying the electric shield cord is until I did not have one.

Are there any tinted lenses that are good for night riding (other then clear). I see bolin22 said the scott amp blue are good for night....anyone else on good night riding tints

I use the Modular. Can´t wear contacts so that is the choice for me. I´ve tried out different goggles what suppose to fit with eyeglasses. Haven´t found any good yet. Still have my MDS motorcross helmet though.

Ike

Sno cross style helmet, proview persciption Scott goggles with a snap on, off, blue, amber,
and a dark tint lense. You can then change your lense tint without carrying extra goggles

skidooboy said:
maxout, proview makes prescription goggle lenses just for your type of issue.

bolin said:
maxout- check out scott goggles they make what they call a OTG (over the glasses).....a friend wears these goggles over his glasses and really likes the performance of them. he never has to worry about fogging at all. i would highly reccomnend this setup compared to a close faced shield that is cracked half open all day = windburn and snow in the helmet lol......

Wow that's awsome! I have always wondered and was never able to find anything. I'll have to look them up! Thanks!
Yea you aren't kidding about the wind burn and snow it sucks. my helmet is not very comfortable to me anymore anyway so I can't wait to get something new.

Last edited:
over the glasses Scott goggles work sort of OK trail riding. If you do any powder riding get the proview goggles. You can then get the different color lense covers that snap on and off. By the way my local optical shop was able to change the lenses for me as my perscription has changed.

another vote for the moto style helmet. I wear the HJC ACX-2 with a pair of Smith Snow Warps. Also have a pair of Scotts, but prefer the Snow Warps. I may try a pair of Spys next season. Like others have mentioned the key is having the right goggle/mask setup for your head and helmet size.

Attachments

• 100_2012.jpg
    100_2012.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
ajviper, Looks very cool, where did you get the Smith snow warps googles with the chrome and blue?

Last edited:
I am also a fan of the moto style helmet with goggles. I have a fat head and usually sweat more than the average person, so it's nice to have a little more air blowing thru. When it's really cold out the breathguard goes in and the balaclava goes on. Another thing that i like are Quick Straps. Instead of the band of the goggles wrapping around the helmet, they attach to the sides (one side permanently affixed and the other side a velcro setup), can be removed with one hand, and fit all brands of goggles.

only thing i caution with the quick straps is, if the post adhesive on the helmet fails and you dont have a way to warm up the helmet to try the "reattatch" repair, and or you dont have a spare post, you are done. been there done that.

i dont use the quick straps anymore for that reason. i was a big fan, till i saw a few fail and carried spares. just easier to use a full strap. i even went as far to relieve the slot on the goggle so you can easily remove the goggle from the post.

the other thing i found, i couldnt get the goggles to sit as tight to my face with the quick strap set up v.s the stock strap. best thing to do is try them and make your own decisions. ski

You're right ski, if that post is not permanently affixed and it comes off, you are hating life for the rest of the day. I had it happen once to me over the last 2 years of using them. Super glue came out the next day....so far no problems. For me, I just hate monkeying with the strap around the helmet. Once I set the QS to where I like it, it goes back to the same place every time I put the goggles back across my face. Personal preferences...all what you're used to.

viper7mi said:
ajviper, you I will have the same setup. Looks very cool, where did you get the Smith snow warps googles with the chrome and blue?

The goggles are not chrome--they are actually the clear frames with blue lenses. Just so you know, the smith blue lenses are not the best for night riding. I usually switch to clear lenses if doing a lot of night riding. The scott and TI colored lenses tend to be better for night riding if you prefer a tint.

BTW- I'm the one that sold ski the helmet last year.

Best site / availability of prescription goggles / sporting eye wear is SportRX Inc..

www.bicycleRX.com or 1-888-831-5817 best source of information I have found this year. prices seem very competative.

Back