1987 Exciter--- Redo

yamahaex50

All,
Not sure if this is the proper place for this. If not, Mod... please move for me.

Anyway. I have an 87 exciter L/C. Black. As can be imagined it is showing its age. Quite frankly its getting to the point that its probably unsafe to ride. The engine still runs very well(only 3300 on it). The point of all this is... i want to "re-build" from the ground up here. New suspension(s) both front an back, track, seat perhaps, skis, windshield, re paint/clearcoat. Not to mention all the under the hood stuff that needs re-done. clutching etc etc.

Essentially, the question really is, what should/do I need to do here? I want to make it the best again. Do not want to change the integrity of the sled, nor do I want a fancy new paint job or anything. I want it to run/look like new again essentially. What is something like this gonna cost? roughly? Can it even be done? And can anyone here assist with this stuff/offer suggestions to where.

Thanks.

:letitsnow

I'm in a similar situation. Picked up an '89 EX last spring, and , like yours, it's a little rough. I'm not looking to do a full restoration though - more like replace what's broken/worn out and simply make it reliable.

If you've got the time to wait, cruise Ebay and the online classifieds, eventually you'll probably find all the parts for a complete restoration, but that may take a couple years! Since there were so many of these made, I'm not sure it would be worth the investment in a full resto-job - I doubt these will ever become a collectors sled.

For my own project, I'm looking a rebuilding the primary (Comet 108c), replacing the carbs with flatsides, rebuilding the skid, replacing the steel skis with plastic, and cleaning it up a little with some fresh paint. I'm figuring $150 in parts for the clutch rebuild, paid $85 for the carbs (38mm Mik's from an EX SX - shipping incl - good deal I think), probably $100 in parts to rebuild the skid (including replacing the upper scissor arm - anyone got one lying around?), $150 for skis (have agreed to buy them froma guy in town, but haven't handed over cash yet), and maybe $25-50 for paint (sprayed at home). That stuff adds up in a hurry - approaching 2/3's what I bought the sled for (all figures in CDN dollars)! Now to do a full resto - I'd guess you'd be looking at probably $1500 pretty easy.

So I'd say you've got to decide what you want to do - make it ride-able/reliable, or a full restoration job.

Back