What shocks to replace on a 2001 Phazer?

nailsandrails

VIP Member
I have a 2001 Phazer that needs the rear shocks rebuilt. The only problem with that is that they are not rebuildable. :) This is my wifes sled and I would like to make it ride as nice as new without spending much money. What shocks would you guys recommend? I'm thinking a used set off of something will be the way to go, but I am concerned the springs may be too stiff off of other sleds????

I have the same sled and was thinking of buying the 02 Viper shock kit. I dont have the part number here but can get it for you. If I remember correctly both rear shocks are $300 and are gas and rebuildable. Should work 100% better than hydraulic

If the fronts need to be updated as well I have a set of KYB rebuildables from a '97 XTC with about 4000 miles on them for sale. $100

I will check, may have a front rear shock from the same sled that I would sell cheap. Don't recall if I sold it or not to a guy that was interested last year.

Attachments

• 97 XTC KYB front shocks and springs.JPG
    97 XTC KYB front shocks and springs.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I was actually looking for rears, but it would be nice to replace the fronts also. I'll check the mount style tonight. I don't know what the Phazer has for mounts off hand.

If you're going to keep it awhile/ride it alot, consider giving a Works dealer a call. They will custom build/valve/spring/charge shocks to your individual taste.

I'd really like to move her to at least a 500 liquid, but she really likes this sled. Even at that I wouldn't be willing to spend a lot on the shocks for something like works. I'd move her to a diff sled first. Thanks for the idea tho. I did buy the set of used fronts.. Still looking for rears.

Works shocks in the rear will make that the best riding Pro-Action out there. They are incredible for a plush ride in a Pro-Action skid. I have put a lot of hard miles on a 2000 Phazer, and set up right they can out corner any of the bigger sleds of that day. They just don't accelerate out of the corner very fast.

Gear it down a lot, and that sled is a very fun sled except for getting left behind when everybody else goes over 60 mph. Gearing it down really doesn't lose much top-end except in very low friction situations where the original gearing almost has a chance to pull it.

Where those sleds are a lot of fun if they are geared down, is off-trail. They are so easy to throw around, and are a lot lighter than the liquids.

I agree with ya. If I could find a pipe that would help a lot in the straights. She really likes it the way it is, it's just that the rear shock doesn't function when it is cold out.

Trust me...if I were riding it I would do a lot of things different!! I added mirrors and electric start last year for her. This year I just purchased a 1.25 track. I'm sure she would appreciate the better ride.. I just don't want to put much more money into this sled. You don't get a lot back when selling a phazer IMO.

One major concern I have with keeping it is the gas mileage. It is 12-13 when riding slow... but in heavy conditions or riding faster it only gets 10. A lot of the time we ride faster so she is always the first one looking for a gas station. I never like to be that person, and I'd rather not to the tour buddy thing.

Find another non-rebuildable bag shock like the one that is on it and replace it. The gas shock will give the sled a buckboard ride and the viper shocks are junk from the get-go, realllllll stifffff. I put a pipe/ clutch kit/ 1 1/4" track and plastic skis on mine last year, made a big difference in the performance and love it. Try tightning the secondary spring for better fuel mileage, less throttle to keep the sled going.

Back