FJ Cruiser Hauler build

valin

Here's the new tow vehicle.

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
3" Suspension lift (I modified it to 3.75")
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ's (315/70R17)
17"x9" Dick Cepek DC-1 rims
Airbags mounted in rear coils for extra strength when towing
and the list goes on....

Attachments

• FJ Cruiser 001.jpg
    FJ Cruiser 001.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 23
  • FJ Cruiser 003.jpg
    FJ Cruiser 003.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 11
  • FJ Cruiser 004.jpg
    FJ Cruiser 004.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 8

Nice. Those FJ Cruisers are sweet. IMO, the FJ Cruiser is the kind of vehicle the 4Runner should have always been. Sadly, the 4Runner has kinda gotten away from its true intended purpose and has become a luxury kid hauler for yuppie soccer moms.

Octane said:
Nice. Those FJ Cruisers are sweet. IMO, the FJ Cruiser is the kind of vehicle the 4Runner should have always been. Sadly, the 4Runner has kinda gotten away from its true intended purpose and has become a luxury kid hauler for yuppie soccer moms.

fwiw, the FJ cruiser is a slightly modified (shortened)03+ 4runner chassis, that does not offer the 4.7 liter v8.

the runner is just as capable as the fj, although the fj is a little more nimble due to the shorter wheelbase. if you doubt the capabilities of the 4runner check out some of the rigs on yotatech.com.
both have the same IFS up front, and the same solid rear axle in back.

i have an 04 v8 4runner btw, and I like the Fj. this is our 3rd 4runner (95, 98 , 04)

also, the yuppie hauler is the lexus gx470.

while I do not wheel with the 4runner, it is a highly capable hauler in adverse road conditions. Heck, stock tire size on the runner was 265/65 r17, and since new we have upgraded to the largest tire size you can fit in the truck without lifting it which is a 32" tall tire(265/70 r17s). If I want to wheel, I use my slightly modded jeep ZJ with solid front and rear axles.

oh yeah, not to get too far off track, Nice FJ!

Blkhwkbob said:
What are the towing capabilities of the FJ? I've always liked them. That one is nice!

The FJ can tow 5000 lbs. That is about 2000 lbs under what a v8 4runner can. I suspect if the FJ had a v8 available, that it could tow more.

So, to the OP, how are those Mickey's in snow?

I never ran the Mickey's in the snow, but they would be simply horrible on the ice. I have since sold the FJ, and now drive a 2008 Tundra.

I have not seen any mud terrain tires that work well in the snow, let alone ice.

After you lifted the FJ, what kind of mpg did you get?

We have been thinking of going to a new Sequoia ourselves. Our 04 4runner has like 82 k on it now.

I was getting about 18 MPG, when doing the calculations with canadian gallons. It would probably equate to 20% less in US MPG. My FJ was a 6sp manual, so it automatically got about 8 mpg less than the automatic.

Back