My first sled build 04 Viper ER

Hey jeeptherapy,

your viper looks like great! Your doing a great job .good choice with going with the predator track over the rip saw.

The rear cooler is from a Mountain Max, You'll definitly need the cooler if your running triple pipes. We tried triple piped vipers without the rear cooler and the temp light kicked on alot in all different types of snow conditions. you'll need to trim the tube ends on the viper or sx coolers and weld them to head in the right direction.if ya need it welded let me know I'll have a bubdy with a fab shop that can weld aluminum awesome he'll even pressure test it !

THANKS FOR THE KUDOS !! the surg

P.S. I have a 66 international scout 800 w/29,000 original miles I'm going to build up I may have to call on ya for direction. THAT JEEP LOOKS SWEET!!.

I haven't been doing much on the sled of late. Trying to get prepared for winter around here. Back yard pond, travel trailer, those kind of things.

I made up my mind to put rings in it while it is apart. They are sitting beside my keyboard right now as a reminder I should be out working on my sled instead of sitting at the computer. I should get the cylinders apart today.

I pulled one power valve out of it yesterday. OMG! Is all that crap from one season? I had a very hard time getting the valve out of the slot that it fits in. The crud that was on it was like a black goo. I soaked it in some injector cleaner and it was actually quite easy to clean.

sledsurgeon, I really like the scout 800s. If I didn't have so many projects going right now I would have one. There was one for sale here locally. I have a second jeep that is far from the shape of the green one. But I have all the drive train pretty much up to par. All that is left is getting the T18 granny low 4 speed that is hanging on my engine stand adapted to the jeep drive train.

roughed+in2.JPG

Last edited:
Removed the cylinders today. Inside of my motor is ugly. Going to try and get it cleaned up and back together tomorrow. Lots of cleaning to do. Need to finish up cleaning the power valves also.

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

Well I got my top end together today. Had I known in advance how easy it was going to be I would have ordered rings at the same time I ordered my head. Now I understand why everyone is so open to frequently changing rings. Anybody with any kind of mechanical skills at all (knows how to use a torque wrench and line up a slot and pin) should be able to install rings.

Of course I haven't started it yet so everything could change come tomorrow when I get it finished up. But it turns over smooth and everything looks good.

I also cleaned and adjusted power valves while I was at it. That wasn't as bad as I expected either. I did find it very difficult to find the proper measurement on the gap. I understand now what people use two allen wrenches. I only have one. I will be picking up a second 2.5 allen wrench for next time. I did feel inside the exhaust port after reinstalling them. I thought they felt a little different between the three of them.

I also made a spacer for my power valve servo today. Bender pipes install call for spacing the servo forward. I made it out of a piece of scrap aluminum. Moved the servo forward about an inch. This allows the center and mag cables to route under the pto cable. I tried it without the spacer and it melted the wrap that I put on the power valve cables. So now with new spacer and new wrap that should be fine. I just hope there isn't any more learning by error.

Pipes, heads and skid plate finished. My photo server will be down for a while so I have to wait a while for the rest of the pics.

c.JPG

5.JPG

Jeep Therapy, for someone that was as hesitant starting into this project, and some of the complications it has taken for you along the way (they usually do), I think you have done an excellent job. Your work is all top notch, and each finished product is coming out good. Looks like you are closing in on completion now, congrats. The help on here sure can be a god-send at times when your stumped right! I am kind of in the same boat as you with getting the SRX back 100% together, still need to finish my seat riser, then mount that & the seat, put my primary on and my new skis when they show.
I kind of know now what you are/have worked thru with your health, as I am somewhat in the same boat now, and I must say it certainly complicates doing some of what were previously the simplest tasks. The sledlift I built last year is a saviour, as I can't really work bent over at all right now, so that makes lots of things interesting!!! Keep up the great work on your sled, you will be rewarded with many miles of grins behind your shield this winter!!!

Yes, getting really close. Really looking forward to getting it out on the snow (this afternoon). If it wasn't for the information available here I probably wouldn't have ever done anything to it. Gas, oil and go. I originally budgeted for the motor only. So the track and extension really made a mess of the budget. I am sure it will all be worth it in the end. Thanks for checking it out and the compliments.

Back