1998 600 vmax performance problems

FASTSRX2000

I have a 1998 600 vmax. It has no top end and uses fuel real bad. It idles perfect. I cleaned the carbs,rebuilt cluch and secondary, new fuel pump.Compression is good and I changed exhaust pipe. Any help???? Dennis

FASTSRX2000 said:
I have a 1998 600 vmax. It has no top end and uses fuel real bad. It idles perfect. I cleaned the carbs,rebuilt cluch and secondary, new fuel pump.Compression is good and I changed exhaust pipe. Any help???? Dennis

My buddy has one that, like yours, runs like poo. Starts and runs fine, just no b@lls. Tops out at 75mph. 1st owner always got 100 (indicated) mph. Together we've checked a lot of stuff, clutches, compression, ignition, etc..
we never reeally solved the problem.
One thing I wanted to do but never got there was to replace reeds and cages. GOOD LUCK!!! :o|

By "chaged the exhaust pipe", do you mean you put an aftermarket pipe on it? Is so, did you re-jet the carbs? Pipe manufacturer should be able to tell you what carb specs to run.

How do your plugs look? Are you sure your secondary is assembled correctly - spring in the right hole?

A.

98 Twin 600

My twin ran like a Artic Cat until did some changes to. I dropped the jets two sizes, dropped the needle one notch, tightened the secondary and removed a layer from the head gasket. Those changes made it run much better. Check the performance log for more info on the 600 Twins. 98's have the updated pistons so the rings should be fine. How many miles are on the sled ?

Back