Mountain Viper Suspension & Other Updates

Powder Trax

I bought a mint 2004 MNT VIPER last month. It has a 156"x15"x2" track punched out, Simmons CPR triple pipes, Peak performance heads, SLP Flow Rites, porting by Lowell Horning, and a few other mods. I'm getting the pipes ceramic coated.

It has 8 tooth extoverts. I was thinking of 8 or 9' rear billet wheels, and billet boggie wheels-elliminate a few also, and going back to 9 tooth extroverts. I have new Ohlin shocks for the rear suspension as I am a bit bigger than the previous owner (225 lbs) as he was maybe 170 (plus the clear out price was right).

Is the 9 tooth drivers a good way to go. I was even thinking of going smaller in the track length (144") ( for more track speed) as I do not ride the mountains near enough anymore (1-2 trips a year where as before I set up a wall tent camp and lived in the mountains approx. 14 days each month till end of April)

Any input is appreciated. I was a Yamaha guy in the past (1993 MNT Phazer, MNT Vmax 600), rode my AC ZRT 800MC for 10 years, now again back in BLUE! I love the triple so I will be happy for sure.

I don't think you will fit the 9t extros under there with the 2" track without chaincase and tunnel mods. They come 8t from the factory. If a lot of off trail riding is not what you do, maybe a shorter lug track would be in order. You may also have to trim the rail tips to run the skid in the factory location with 9t's (not 100% sure but my poo skid is a little too long).

To run 8" wheels in the rear you will need either an offset axle or offset rail extensions. I ran them to go from a 141 to 144 with an offset axle and now have them to go 151 with a 1" setback with my 144 xtra-lite skid. If trail riding with lots of road crossing is predicted, make sure you go with plastic wheels or aluminum with the rubber outers.

I actually removed all of my idlers (except the top and rear of course) to reduce weight and run scratchers when I find myself on trails (seldom). Sled runs cooler and slider wear is a non-issue.

Back