89 Yamaha Ovation Rebuild

do you remember where you got the track? I still need to tear into mine....If only I hadn't missed a buck the first saturday....that was over 6 weeks ago....

dnale said:
do you remember where you got the track? I still need to tear into mine....If only I hadn't missed a buck the first saturday....that was over 6 weeks ago....

I bought a new track from ShadeTree Powersports (http://shadetreepowersports.com/) this past June/July on sale heavily discounted. I think it was 25% off with free shipping. Signup for their snail mail deals.

This is a great thread!

I have an Ovation in my backyard for my daughter I want to rebuild!

hope you don't mind a PM or two when I get going, love the plastic wheels & matching skis!

I have the seat cover already, too bad it's just black though...I love the idea of matched color seat.

I'm going to try an stick a phazer skid under this one and perhaps drivers too but I need more research...what is the Ovation track pitch?

anyways, this was a very inspiring thread!

GREAT WORK!

Greasy said:
This is a great thread!

I have an Ovation in my backyard for my daughter I want to rebuild!

hope you don't mind a PM or two when I get going, love the plastic wheels & matching skis!

I have the seat cover already, too bad it's just black though...I love the idea of matched color seat.

I'm going to try an stick a phazer skid under this one and perhaps drivers too but I need more research...what is the Ovation track pitch?

anyways, this was a very inspiring thread!

GREAT WORK!

Please do. I will share what information I have and have learned with anyone.

Hi:

Nice job on the rebuild. I'm having trouble just rebuilding the carb on a 89 Ovation. Do you remember the needle valve setup for the float? Did the little tab on the end of the needle valve sit in the cutout of the tang on the float? The float seems to work with the valve setup that way. If the needed valve just hits the tang, it tends to get hung up causign fuel starvation.
thanks
Larry

Thanks, but without looking at it I'm not sure I follow. The little tab that faces the needle valve side has a little cutout in it that is u-shaped. Does the top of the needle valve "hook" into that cutout so that the needle valve moves up and down with the float? Without doing that, my needed valve just kept getting stuck in the passage and no gas would flow in.

I bent up the float pretty good trying to play/adjust it to the 31MM distance, but I'm not sure of how the float tab should hit the valve to measure.

Did you replace the float and needle on your? The sled starts up fine now warm and cold, and runs fast, but if I try to accellerate from stopped on an incline up, it bogs down as soon as the cluth cuts in. The TORS (if I under stand it) is disconnected at the carb and I think at the handlebars also. Wires are looked onto themselves.

Is something else needed to bypass TORS on the Ovation (85L - 1989).

Thanks again,
Larry C
Central Mass

Back