Reverse install in an 00-02 SRX

SRXer

Here is an outline of putting a Viper reverse kit in an 00-02 SRX. 98/99 are different because they have 15 wide gears. You can do the same, but in addition would need a 13 wide Hyvo top gear and 70L Hyvo 13W chain.
You have 2 options as far as gearing with the reverse kit. The 8EK kit will give you stock gearing 22/38
The part #'s you want are:
38T Hyvo reverse kits is: 8EK-W4759-10-00 REVERSE GEAR KIT
39T Hyvo reverse kits is: 8EN-W4759-00-00 REVERSE GEAR KIT
You re-use your stock top gear and your 70L chain.

Start by draining your chaincase using the drain plug on the inside of the tunnel on the back side of the chaincase-do not lose the grommet on the plug. Remove chaincase cover (This will not be re-used). Inspect existing rubber gasket for any tears, damage, etc in case you need to order one. Lossen chain tensioner bolt. Remove existing bottom gear. (This will not be re-used). Remove chain & save for re-use. Clean all oil/debris out of chaincase.
Follow steps in reverse kit for assembly of new gearset. I like to use blue loctite on all hardware associated with this job, but that's up to you.
Ensure you get all spacers and washers exactly where shown, and on proper side of gears. Once chaincase interior is assembled, you can move on to the linkage portion.
The pic below shows how you have to cut out the centre portion of the reverse bracket to clear the e-brake actuator arm. Also on the end of that arm where the cable mounts, you will see a indent/partial hole inboard of the one the cable is mounted in from the factory. You need to drill out that hole, relocate the cable to the new/inboard hole, then grind of the excess portion of the arm.
Rev5.jpg

The pic below you can see the upper/rear mounting point of the bracket. I used longer bolt with nuts on it behind the bracket to shim it out/away from the exisitng hole used in the frame tube, as this is required for clearance, and to make everything line up to the chaincase cover. There is 1.5" of shim here.
Rev4.jpg

In the pic below you can see the rubber bump stop for the can to sit against and the 2 shelf brackets that come on the Viper chanincase cover. You need to cut off these brackets flush, and cut the thickness of the rubber stopper down, so the rubber is just beyond the bolt head in the centre, both of these items are to make room for the existing silencer.
Rev3.jpg

General pic
Rev2.jpg

In the pic below, you can see the hold down bolt for the rear of the silencer, closest to the footwell. The hole in the silencer needs to be slotted right out the inside, and use a fender washer as shown in the pic when you reinstall the silencer. This allows about another 1/4" of outbound movement of the silencer which is needed for clearance.
Rev1.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

Last edited:

Here's a some pics of the chaincase innards fully assembled. Don't forget to set the tension on the chain adjuster (finger tight only) when finished, and set the locknut. Fill chaincase with 250ml of your desired lubricant after replacing the drain plug on the inside of the tunnel, make sure the grommet is still on the plug.
DSC01546.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

Thanks srxer you helped me a lot last season doing this and mine turned out great!!!! By the way I didn't move any coolant hoses or anything either. It took a little time, I think the biggest Pain is taking the pipes on and off!!! Is the SRX the fastest sled in reverse ever or what! I forgot to shift once and took off in reverse, no alarm, luckily nothing bad happened but I almost $hit myself!!!

SRXer said:
Here's a some pics of the chaincase innards fully assembled. Don't forget to set the tension on the chain adjuster (finger tight only) when finished, and set the locknut. Fill chaincase with 250ml of your desired lubricant after replacing the drain plug on the inside of the tunnel, make sure the grommet is still on the plug.
DSC01546.jpg

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544.jpg
38T Hyvo reverse kits is: 8EK-W4759-10-00 REVERSE GEAR KIT
39T Hyvo reverse kits is: 8EN-W4759-00-00 REVERSE GEAR KIT

Why would you choose one kit over the other?

Which one is best for the SRX?

Back