Oil Injection Pump Question - 89 SRV

fixinsleds

I picked up a very nice 89 SRV last Spring. In going through it, I noticed that the oil pump cable has NO spring tension on it to pull it back toward the pump, such that if you squeeze to full throttle, when you release the throttle the cable for the oil pump will remain at full throttle unless you physically push it back. I don't think its broke because it doesn't pull out. Previous owner had told me that it used 1.5 quarts of oil per tank of gas, so I'm assuming the pump was running pretty much at max.
My questions are:
Is this zero cable tension normal? (I'm guessing not)
Will I be able to pull the oil pump without pulling the motor?

Hope someone can enlighten me on this.

fixinsleds said:
I picked up a very nice 89 SRV last Spring. In going through it, I noticed that the oil pump cable has NO spring tension on it to pull it back toward the pump, such that if you squeeze to full throttle, when you release the throttle the cable for the oil pump will remain at full throttle unless you physically push it back. I don't think its broke because it doesn't pull out. Previous owner had told me that it used 1.5 quarts of oil per tank of gas, so I'm assuming the pump was running pretty much at max.
My questions are:
Is this zero cable tension normal? (I'm guessing not)
Will I be able to pull the oil pump without pulling the motor?

Hope someone can enlighten me on this.

The cable should return by itself. If it doesn't and the cable is not broken you should replace the pump. I don't think the internal return spring is available seperatly and replacing the pump is an easy job. If you need one let me know I should have a good used one here.
Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Thanks for the replies. I hope to make some time over this upcoming long weekend to pull the pump. Am I correct in thinking that I will pull the entire drive gear/pump assembly by removing the two mounting bolts that run parallel to the chassis frame? It doesn't look like I can get to the cable mount cover otherwise.

fixinsleds said:
Thanks for the replies. I hope to make some time over this upcoming long weekend to pull the pump. Am I correct in thinking that I will pull the entire drive gear/pump assembly by removing the two mounting bolts that run parallel to the chassis frame? It doesn't look like I can get to the cable mount cover otherwise.

Yes you are correct. 2 mounting bolts, lines, cable and pry it away from the case. The bolts go through 2 hollow locating dowels so the pump needs to come straight away from the crankcase about 1/4" before it can be removed.

Good Luck, opsled

You know, I took a good look at it again just now and I just cannot see any possible way of removing the oil injection pump with the motor mounted in position. There is only an inch of end clearance on the bottom mount bolt and the way its tucked into the framework on that side of the chassis and beneath the motor I can barely even see it much less get a socket or wrench on it! I assume Yamaha service departments have a custom wrench for this? Even so, it appears that I would be lucky to have enough clearance to back the bolt out of the threads. It even looks iffy that I would be able to get the pump out of there without pulling the intake manifold off. Wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't the tall bulkhead side framework covering it all up! So... Have any of you actually pulled an SRV oil pump without doing any other dismantling to get at it?

Pull the engine. It is the easiest way. If you have a clutch puller and air tools it should only take about 1/2 an hour. You might be able to remove the pipe, airbox, carb, belt and motor mount bolts and be able to move the engine enough to get at the pump but it will be tight.

Good Luck,
opsled

I was able to get enough clearance by unbolting the motor and rotating it without pulling the clutch. Would have been easier if the clutch was off, but it seems to have the threads mashed a bit such that the puller wouldn't thread in. Decided to save that battle for another day...
My pump is fine, the spring tension was just weak (or the pump has been apart before??) I was able to disassemble, give the pulley 1 turn of tension and put it all back exactly as it was. It works fine now. I also checked the pump minimum displacement and it checked slightly above the high spec in my older version service manual (SR540H) I'd rather have it run high versus low anyway. At least it won't be running max output all the time now!
I appreciate the replies. I will definitely be posting other questions as I get to them.

Back