More clutching advice wanted!

Classic SRX

Ok, I'm back looking for more advice for my EX 570. I've acquired a few more parts in the last couple of months, and am looking for the best way to get the little pick-ups to the snow. Here's what I'm running:

Stock internals
PSI single (hope I didn't snipe it out from under anyone here)
modified y-pipe (20mm shorter - recommended for stock motor)
cold air intake
38mm flat slide carbs
YVXC primary
Hymark roller kit for the secondary (secondary from a 95 Vmax)

Dynotech says this pipe made 86hp @ 7250RPM on a stock '91. In '89 they dyno'd the y-pipe mod alone as a 6hp increase on a piped & ported engine. I'm hoping to be in the low to mid 90's with what I've got (pipe, y-pipe, carbs, & intake). That puts me in around Vmax 600 power, but at least 500RPM lower than most set-ups I've seen. Anyone care to throw out suggestions (spring & weight combos)?

Angus

No suggestions huh?

I guess I'll start with the EX SX setup and play around from there. Should be similar hp numbers, but the engine speed at peak is a little different (7250 vs 7500).

ANGUS, I NEVER FORGOT YOU, JUST STRUCK OUT TRYING TO FIND ANY OLD CLUTCH INFO ON THOSE EXCITERS. LIKE I HAD ONCE TOLD YA, GREAT FRIEND OF MINE HAD FAST EXCITER BACK IN THE DAY AND I REMEMBER MOST OF THE CLUTCH STUFF HE GOT FROM HAUCK. NOT MUCH HELP TO YA, I WILL SAY YOU LOOK LIKE YOU HAVE A NICE SET-UP THERE. AND YES I WOULD START WITH A SX SET-UP. 3:16 (yammie tony)

i had 96 vmax 600 clutch set up(primary and secondary) in mine back in the day. went real good.with a couple of shims for a higher engagement.only that set up was for ported and piped exciter.

Last edited:
I had looked at the setup for TSS Vmax's, but thought the shift RPM was a little high. Seems to me the 600 had a 7750 shift, and by the Dynotech sheet, this pipe on the 570 should peak at 7250 (these numbers are off the top of my head). Although, the y-pipe mod will bring the RPM's up a little I believe (20mm out of the center section).

Also, I believe the 600 will have about 10hp more than I'm anticipating my combo having.

I guess I'll have to compare the EX SX and Vmax clutching to see what the differences are. Thanks for the recommendation though.

A.

Back