venture clutching

newfieventure

I am planning on getting the clutches on my 97 Venture 600 rebuilt this year. The guys I normally ride with are mostly 600 revs and I would love to give them a run for it this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could wake the old girl up a bit.
Last year we installed an 1 1/4 ripsaw and it made a huge difference.

:letitsnow

newfieventure said:
I am planning on getting the clutches on my 97 Venture 600 rebuilt this year. The guys I normally ride with are mostly 600 revs and I would love to give them a run for it this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could wake the old girl up a bit.
Last year we installed an 1 1/4 ripsaw and it made a huge difference.

:letitsnow

is the rip saw studded?

did you have to do any mods ( smaller drivers?)to fit the ripsaw?
you could notch the reed stoppers for a little extra free hp.

As long as your running 7800 rpm at wide open throttle you won,t gain much.

Yamanewf said:
Is yours the 600 twin?
yep, 97 + 98 venture 600s were twins. they went to the trip in 99, jsut liek the MM and sxr6

honestly, i set myself up to be a little disappointed by the power of the 600 twin.

After rifding around ove turkey day on the 3" we had, I realize that it indeed has 98 hp.

It will do just fine. :letitsnow

The track is not studded. As for other mods, just completed the stopper notch, plastic skis, with SX seat and viper front shocks going on this month.

What about taking it down a gear. Would rather have more bottom end for the type of riding here.

Last edited:
I wouldnt do that, you may lose a lot of top end that way.

I say put a clutch kit on it, and put a thin head gasket on it.

those rev 600s, even the non SDI, are much lighter than the venture, with even more HP.

It is sort of a losing battle to try and run neck and neck with them, so I would just be content with "close" and knowing the reliability of your sled will probably make it outlast any skidoo.

you could also get a 1 up seat and mount that on it for this year.

The stock 2 up seat is quite heavy. In the auto world, losing 7 lbs is like gaining a horsepower. It should be a lesser # in sled weight lost to equate to 1hp gained. So whatever weight you can lose, or your sled can lose will help.
Those newer 600s have a good 20 hp on your 98hp venture.

See for me, I can deal with my Venture not being a rocketsled. I have the xc600sp for that. :)

Back