Blower motor problem

BigRed700

I own a 2004 chev silverado and yesterday when I went to turn on my heater I noticed I have no high setting (#5). The rest work 1-4 but no high.
When I turn from 4 to 5 I here a loud click noise down near the motor but that is when the fan shut off.
Has anybody ever seen this before? If so I could use the help?

Thanks.
Mike

Just don't put it on #5 :) I think the resistor is bypassed when you get to the highest position? Does the truck use a relay for the high fan position? That would explain the loud click going from 4 to 5 and would then also be the repair.

More than likely its just the B/M resistor BUT the control heads are known to stop working. We fix at least 3-5 Silverado's a week for the problem you mentioned above, I work the Parts Counter at Holiday Chevrolet here in MI.

B/M Resistor are about $50 list for that year truck
Control Head can range from $185 to $335 list for that year truck

All depends on what opitions you got and to find that out dealer would need your VIN.

hey, at least you have heat. I cant always say the same about my moms grand Cherokee ltd. In the 60k of its existence, the blend doors failed twice. Once was covered under warranty which would have been 1400 dollars, and then 20k later it went again, and I replaced them with a better engineered design.

You could try to source a used blower motor from a yard, and see if that one does the same.
Or you could go onto a GM truck forum and see if this is a common issue. There may be a TSB for it, or better yet, a recall.

good luck

Thanks for all of your advice.
I think and hope it is only the resistor. I can't work on it till tomorrow but as soon as I find out the problem I will let you all know.
Thanks again for all of the help

Mike

Well It is finally fixed and here is the story...

I threw out my back after I initially had the problem so I couldn't work on it. I decided to leave it for a while and fix it when I could move again.
On Jan 2nd all of a sudden the #5 setting worked again. Great I thought. Until 3 days ago...
Leaving for my midnight shift I had no blower, nothing worked. Luckily it was semi warm out and didn't need to defrost anything. I took it to the dealer and when they pulled the cover off, of course it started to work again for them and they could not find anything wrong. The service department didn't charge me anything since it worked. He told me if it stopped working again to bring it back. Well later yesterday after it was looked at, It stopped working.
I took it back after I got off work this morning and they fixed it.
It was the resistor and the connector that were broken. The connector was melted. I have never seen that before. The resistor was noly 58 dollars but the connector and wires were 161 dollars. total cost was 430. Ouch. Oh well at least it is fixed now....Hopefully it keeps on working and does not happen again.
For all of you that gave me advice, thanks for your inputs.

Mike

I have an additional question to the above post....I had the same problem, and I replaced both the connector and resistor, but when I go to 5 (high), I can still hear an audible "click"....Is this something I should worry about? Thanks for any help...

No that is a high speed relay clicking, not an issue. This is also why all speeds but high go out, the power is routed thru the relay instead of the resistor....get used to this problem, very common. Chevy has changed the design of the resistor numerous times.

psychogoc said:
I have an additional question to the above post....I had the same problem, and I replaced both the connector and resistor, but when I go to 5 (high), I can still hear an audible "click"....Is this something I should worry about? Thanks for any help...

Davessrx is right. It is a "normal" noise
I dont like it but it is normal. I hope that is all that goes wrong with my truck.
Good luck with yours. Hopefully yours and mine will not break again.
Mike

Back