1993 Phazer II issues, questions

RPPHAZER

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have just gotten back into snowmobiling after having a few kids. Here is my situation: I bought a very clean 1993 Phazer II with 3500 miles for $600. We don't get much snow in Chicagoland so this is basicly a clean beater that I will get out a few times a year. All looks good on the sled but here are the issues/questions:

First-As I went to change out the plugs I found that the right plug threads has some hole mark from the top of the threads to about 1/2 way down the threads. I have not done a pressure test yet but there is a blow-by mark on the foam under the hood. The mark looks like you took a 1/8" round file to the one side of the threads(on a angle). Not quite sure what this is. The new plug seemed to seal OK and the sled runs good around the yard(grass only at this time)???? Any thoughts?? Could this be caused by predetination?? Would'nt the piston go before the hard steel head from predet. or excessive pressure?

Second-The sled seems to pull pretty good but does seem to smoke alot at idle and under acceleration. Definetly, to much smoke. It of course is oil injected so could this just need an adjustment?? How do I check the oil mixture % ? Old gas?? Possibly related to question #1???

Third-When you get in the throttle, there is a rather loud clunking sound as the clutch engages??? Is this just an adjustment? How do I check and adjust??

And last, I got about 150 pick from a buddys old track(broke prematurelly on a big CC motor). What is the best pattern, max picks and and what is the max length that I can put on the 93 phazer II without rubbing under the tunnel?

Thanks guys for all the info that you can provide. This sled is extreamly clean and almost looks new(It's Red). Hopefully there is no major problems with these issues.

RPPHAZER said:
Here is my situation:I found that the right plug threads has some hole mark from the top of the threads to about 1/2 way down the threads.,The mark looks like you took a 1/8" round file to the one side of the threads(on a angle).
Hmmm...not sure what would cause that but swapping out the head on
that sled is easy,a used head is cheap,i wouldn't run it like that anymore.
RPPHAZER said:
Second-The sled seems to pull pretty good but does seem to smoke allot at idle and under acceleration.
they do at first(like there on fire) but after a wile and they warm up to
operating temp,and get cleaned out,they hardly smoke at all,but not
a bad idea to check the oil pump spec out..
RPPHAZER said:
How do I check the oil mixture %?
On a PZ you need to check the cable gap down @ the carb rack
you pull up on the oil pump cable out of it's seated position in the
adjuster then you measure that gap and set it to 22-23mm.
RPPHAZER said:
Third-When you get in the throttle, there is a rather loud clunking sound as the clutch engages???
your clutch could be just sticking, from sitting to long,or the spring could
be weak or even broke, i would take it off(need a puller) and check things
out.

those old pz's are great little sleds run forever, should serve you well.

Oh and welcome to the site. :)

RPPHAZER said:
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and have just gotten back into snowmobiling after having a few kids. Here is my situation: I bought a very clean 1993 Phazer II with 3500 miles for $600. We don't get much snow in Chicagoland so this is basicly a clean beater that I will get out a few times a year. All looks good on the sled but here are the issues/questions:

First-As I went to change out the plugs I found that the right plug threads has some hole mark from the top of the threads to about 1/2 way down the threads. I have not done a pressure test yet but there is a blow-by mark on the foam under the hood. The mark looks like you took a 1/8" round file to the one side of the threads(on a angle). Not quite sure what this is. The new plug seemed to seal OK and the sled runs good around the yard(grass only at this time)???? Any thoughts?? Could this be caused by predetination?? Would'nt the piston go before the hard steel head from predet. or excessive pressure?

Make a soap and water solution and spray it around the base of the plug. Start the sled and watch for bubbles. If there are not any, it will probably be okay. If there are, or you would just rather have it taken care of, the threads can be replaced. A helicoil can be used, but an insert is better. Keensert is one brand name. Check at a machine shop, auto parts store, small engine, marine or sled shop to get one installed. Or as daman said, a used head may be just as cheap as a repair. The head is made of aluminum.

Second-The sled seems to pull pretty good but does seem to smoke alot at idle and under acceleration. Definetly, to much smoke. It of course is oil injected so could this just need an adjustment?? How do I check the oil mixture % ? Old gas?? Possibly related to question #1???

Probably not related to #1. Likely old gas. Best to siphon it out and put in new.
Check the pump adjustment.
It could be flooding or running on one cylinder (likely would be a bad spark
plug).

Third-When you get in the throttle, there is a rather loud clunking sound as the clutch engages??? Is this just an adjustment? How do I check and adjust??

If it only does it once, follow Damans advice. If it does it repeatedly as you are taking off, it may be from a narrow spot burned in the belt. Try a new belt.

And last, I got about 150 pick from a buddys old track(broke prematurelly on a big CC motor). What is the best pattern, max picks and and what is the max length that I can put on the 93 phazer II without rubbing under the tunnel?

Recommended length for studs is 1/4 to 3/8 inch beyond the track lugs. You will need to install tunnel protector strips with any studs (if there are none there). I don't know what would be the max length studs that could be used.

Do not put studs in the outer belts beyond the holes. You may find a stud placement chart with a search on this site. Should be one somewhere on the net.

Thanks guys for all the info that you can provide. This sled is extreamly clean and almost looks new(It's Red). Hopefully there is no major problems with these issues.
It would most helpful for you to have a service manual. Check eBay, I would recommend a paper one, not on a disc, and it should be a genuine Yamaha one. Or you can get one at a Yamaha dealer.

Last edited:

Back