89 SRV Oil pump cable adjustment questions

fixinsleds

Two straight-forward questions about the Oil Pump Cable adjustment.
1) Is the spec for my 89 SRV the same as that listed in my 84 and older Service Manual, 0.98 inch ± 0.04 inch?
2) Is this measurement supposed to be the total slack in the cable, (at idle) or is it just the measurement from the TOP of the adjustment nut to the bottom end of the cable housing? I interpreted the tiny and fuzzy picture in the service manual to indicate the measurement from the top of the nut to the bottom of the housing. So because the cable housing slides into the nut maybe 1/4 inch, that would make the total slack in the cable roughly 1-1/4 inches.

fixinsleds said:
Two straight-forward questions about the Oil Pump Cable adjustment.
1) Is the spec for my 89 SRV the same as that listed in my 84 and older Service Manual, 0.98 inch ± 0.04 inch?
2) Is this measurement supposed to be the total slack in the cable, (at idle) or is it just the measurement from the TOP of the adjustment nut to the bottom end of the cable housing? I interpreted the tiny and fuzzy picture in the service manual to indicate the measurement from the top of the nut to the bottom of the housing. So because the cable housing slides into the nut maybe 1/4 inch, that would make the total slack in the cable roughly 1-1/4 inches.

1- The adjustment is the same on all SRV's.

2- The measurement is taken from the top of the adjuster to the end of the cable housing after the throttle cable and idle have been properly adjusted with the carb in the idle position.

3- Just pull the oil cable out of the adjuster (carb in idle position) and adjust gap between cable end and adjuster to the specified distance.

4- larger gap = less oil, smaller gap = more oil.
I always set mine at about 7/8" (more oil than specified) just to be safe.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

Very good, thats where I was measuring. I just wanted to be sure I was measuring that in the correct location, a mistake could be quite expensive! Mine ended up at 0.94 inch after all was locked down. I too figured more oil was a good thing.

Thank you again for your help and advice.
Pat

Back