Who has done a cat skid, or a 162

mightymg

THe mountain viper is about to get a 162x15x2 1/4 with a m7 162 skid and anti-ratchets. Also will a 2 1/4 track clear wiht the 8 tooth drivers or do I have to go to 7s??. Ihas anyone else gone this way, and what is your set up , gearing, skid, clutching ETC>>>. PLUS who has done just the cat skid, and any advice on mounting and such. thanks alot!

LAne..

Cat skid

I installed a Cat skid in a MM. Used a 162/15/2 Camo track, 9 tooth extraverts. My chaincase was dropped and rolled. I know that you will have to use 8 tooth with a 2" track without moding the chaincase. Even then, the clearance between the headframe and the tip of the track is very tight. Not tight like it will touch but tight for dealing with snowload. IMO, one of the biggest power sinks on a mountain sled is headframe snowload. So, it you are going to the trouble and expense of changing the skid and the track, you should consider doing the chaincase as well.

The cat skid worked very well. I can't remember what year they began to couple them but I had the uncoupled version. I found it very easy to field adjust the transfer. It could be a handfull on a high speed trail but the chaincase mod was more at fault than the skid. BTW, biggest issue with the 162 track was control, especially in hardpack climbs. With all the power on, sometimes it did what it wanted, could be very exciting. I never figured it out since the sled was stolen soon after I finished the build. I bought the Mod Mountain SRX I am ridding now and it came with a D and R chaincase, identical to my MM. However, the front end had been lifted about 3". This sled is a dream to control in a hardpack climb. I think the extended front end is responsible for the control, more ski pressure. Truth is, the mods done to this SRX come together very well, much better that the job I did on the MM.

So, IMO, the cat skid and a 162 are great deep snow improvments. If you want to maximize the effect of your changes, D and R the chaincase, use 9 tooth extraverts and extend the front end. Hope this helps you.

Alvin

Attachments

• 97 MM build 14.jpg
    97 MM build 14.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 21
  • SRX rebuild 7.jpg
    SRX rebuild 7.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12
mightymg said:
THe mountain viper is about to get a 162x15x2 1/4 with a m7 162 skid and anti-ratchets. Also will a 2 1/4 track clear wiht the 8 tooth drivers or do I have to go to 7s??. Ihas anyone else gone this way, and what is your set up , gearing, skid, clutching ETC>>>. PLUS who has done just the cat skid, and any advice on mounting and such. thanks alot!

LAne..
I think 7T drivers are all 3" pitch. They have basically the same diameter as a 8T 2.52" pitch. Ask around, maybe I'm wrong. Good luck

Great thanks for the info, right now im trying to track down the skid, I have the track, it seems like everytime you need one they are all gone, but when you dont care theres 10 for sale! Im gonna get under there to measure my clearance, but wiht the 2 1.4 track I think im gonna end up doing 7 tooth 3.0 drivers..

Back