99 Phazer won't idle!!

jaydaniels

VIP Member
I have a 99 phazer 500 that will not stay idling. It starts great and at first idles fine. After idling for a couple minutes the idle rpm's start to drop until finally it quites. It will then not idle until at all. If your driving it it seems fine and runs great. Anyone have any ideas. It must be something to do with the pilot jets.

Yeah, already tried that. They seem fine. I really don't know what is going on. Oh well, I guess she'll have to stay on the throttle.

your too fat on the idle circute turn your air screws(on top of each carb) IN a 1/2 3/4 turn,you need to lean it out some. my '94 did this last year and that help it out..i do belive i went in with them,,,

are your carbs clean!!!!

ok, will it idle with the choke on? that is a good way to diagnose some problems. have you played with your idle mixture at all?

Silver

its your pilot jet,im pretty sure from what you described that should be it. :winterrul

daman said:
your too fat on the idle circute turn your air screws(on top of each carb) IN a 1/2 3/4 turn,you need to lean it out some. my '94 did this last year and that help it out..i do belive i went in with them,,,

are your carbs clean!!!!

The carbs were just cleaned so I don't think thats the problem. Also, the machine has done this the last 3 years. The air screws sound like they could be the problem. When the machine is cold it is fine but once it warms up it won't idle. Also, once it starts I can immediatly turn the choke off and the machine runs great, kind of like it is very rich on the idle circuit. Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot this weekend. Is it true that the Yamaha's actually have a fuel screw vs an air screw meaning that by turning the fuel screw in you are restricting fuel flow which will lean the circuit out?

inspect choke adjustment sound like its hanging up when a motor is cold it needs more fuel to run when it gets warmer not as much fuel necessary for idle that could be why it stalls when hot

like daman said, you need to lean out the air/fuel screws. my phazer was the same way. i turned them to 3/4 turn from seated position. runs stout!

Back