Towing Four place

scottman0

I will be in the market to upgrade to a bigger trailer. Right now I have a two place enclosed but will need to go to a four when my daughter turns twelve. I currently have a 98 Chevy half ton ext cab pick up and a 2001 Half ton Suburban, both four wheel drive. I hate to go back to an open trailer but wondering if a steel framed enclosed would be too much for a half ton pick up. Thinking steel (vs. aluminum) as the price would be cheaper.
Anybody pulling a four place enclosed trailer with a steel frame behind their half ton trucks?

Tow vehicle

We use our Yukon Denali XL to tow a steel frame enclosed 4 sled trailer, 7 feet wide so the sleds are staggered. Full interior treatment. No problems. We towed the trailer with 4 sleds from Northern MI to Northern Quebec near Mont Tremblant (15 hours) with no problems.

The 01 probably gets better fuel milage towing with the newer injection. I know I can make it further in my 02 silverado than my buddy can go with his 97 GMC but both tow the 4 place good. Only thing I'd suggest is make sure you have a tranny cooler for the extra weight.

Best thing to do is borrow a 4 place from someone or offer to tow theirs so you know how its going to pull. Everyone has trailers!!

Pulling with a 4 place with a 1/2ton Id say go Aluminum. Yea the price is more but if you plan on keeping it a while, Alum. is going to outlast steel and be much lighter in the process. Design of the trailer can save gas as well, inline/stragged trailers cut through the air better cause of thier sharp nose and narrow design.

I pull a 3 place steel staggered(3000lbs emtpy) with a 1/2ton Silverado and I for one would feel SAFER with the beefer components of a 3/4 ton.

Im in no way saying a 1/2 ton cant tow a steel 4 place with 4 sleds, cause they can with the right motor, trans, and gears.

Last edited:
I know that I can pull it, because I have seen it done. I'm more worried about the way it will pull and the wear and tear. I am pretty sure that aluminum is in the future since I don't want to be buying another trailer. Also an inline would probally be the best route since they are more arrow dynamic. Thanks.

you will like the an all alum trailer. it is light and will last a long time. this trailer only weighs 2480 lbs and is 29 feet inside lenght by 7.5 wide. it is an nash car trailer called the areostar made in allegan michigan.very nice unit. they will make any size you want.

Attachments

• trailer 3 (2).jpg
    trailer 3 (2).jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 7
this is my atc when it was being built. all aluminum construction

Attachments

• trailer_015.jpg
    trailer_015.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 32
  • trailer_012.jpg
    trailer_012.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 32