Corvette ZR1 Is Back For 2009

I thought they were coming out with a SS or ZO7 but they are now calling it a ZR-1??? Would have never thought they would bring back a legend from the best C-4s

BTW I am still loving my 2004 ZO6 COMM. ED. People love the stripes and really turns alot of heads.

Not a bowtie guy, but boy would I like to have that car!!

Curious - what was the claimed HP from the first gen ZR-1's?

90-92 ZR1 rated 375hp-370ft-lbs
93-95 ZR1 rated 405hp-385ft-lbs

Major engine design diff. between the Old ZR1 and the 2009 ZR1.

The old ZR1 was a 32 Valve Dual Overhead Cam V8 which Lotus designed, with many other parts for the ZR1. To my surprise the engines were actually assembled by Mercury Marine but designed/built by GM/Lotus.

The new ZR1 will be a LS7 just S/Ced which only uses a Single Camshaft Push Rod design pushing only 16 valves.

Last edited:
ExpertXViper said:
90-92 ZR1 rated 375hp-370ft-lbs
93-95 ZR1 rated 405hp-385ft-lbs

Major engine design diff. between the Old ZR1 VS 2009 ZR1, is the old ZR1 was a Dual Overhead Cam V8 32 Valve(Lotus Designed) and the new ZR1(LS7 but S/Ced) is a Single Camshaft Push Rod design with only 16 Valves.
Even that was impresive back then, wasnt one of those Vette's turbo charged back then?

S.X. said:
Even that was impresive back then, wasnt one of those Vette's turbo charged back then?

In 87 Callaway produced a Twin Turbo Vette which was a option(B2K) through dealers, just the option alone cost as much as a base Vette back then. Eariler models produced 345hp-450ft-lbs and later models produced 450hp-613ft-lbs. Callaway also produced a Vette which they called the Sledgehammer it made 880hp-770ft-lbs boosting it 0-60 in 3.9sec and 1/4 mile in 10.9sec and a top speed of over 250mph but not in street legal form. Not bad for a car built in 1988 LOL

Last edited:
ExpertXViper said:
In 87 Callaway produced a Twin Turbo Vette which was a option(B2K) through dealers, just the option alone cost as much as a base Vette back then. Eariler models produced 345hp-450ft-lbs and later models produced 450hp-613ft-lbs. Callaway also produced a Vette which they called the Sledgehammer it made 880hp-770ft-lbs boosting it 0-60 in 3.9sec and 1/4 mile in 10.9sec and a top speed of over 250mph but not in street legal form. Not bad for a car built in 1988 LOL

Thats the one I was thinking of, I remember reading about the pricing being some crazy numbers.

I remember in 84 when they made that bodystyle switch, I thought that car was ugggggly. But the new ones are definatley a piece of work!! ;)!

S.X. said:
Thats the one I was thinking of, I remember reading about the pricing being some crazy numbers.

I remember in 84 when they made that bodystyle switch, I thought that car was ugggggly. But the new ones are definatley a piece of work!! ;)!

Yea the Sledgehammer is one ugly car but with close to 900hp I diff. wouldnt have a issue owning it.

Guess I need to get my facts straight, the new ZR1 WILL NOT use the LS7 engine. They designed another engine for LS series which will be called the LS9 a 6.2L S/C. My bad

hmm, I actually like 97+ vettes, and the old ZR1's, despite being a ford guy.

but as much as I like about this new zr1, I really think chevy is messing up the zr1 heritage by putting an OHV motor in the 09 version.

rant on...
All ZR1s should be a DOHC motor. rant off....

I can't wait for Top Gear to do a test of it out on their runway. I still have the episode where Jeremy took the '06 Z06 up to 192 before he had to hit the brakes. Ya I know it is a British TV show but the American car shows suck.

Looks like one bad *** car. I might have to swing by the auto show if they bring it out next month.

I'm with you Horkn that thing should be 32 valve again. I know GM is still getting sick power from the push rod motors but the OHV motors of the top car companies in europe are just amazing. Have you heard the 4.2l V8 from BMW at 8000+ RPM? Sounds like music.

I think that poor man's Z06 (the stock car in any form you want with a STS turbo kit) is a nice idea. Good price too for the horse power. Can you imagine if they actually engineer the car for that and add in "Stages" of performance depending on how much HP you want to buy. Seriously. Can you imagine the stock 420HP offering. Then the Stage one with a Turbo at 500HP. Then you just purchase a program upgrade to get as much boost as you can afford. I know Goodyear would love to sell you as many tires as you want to buy for it.

Vice Chairman Bob Lutz explained the rationale behind the car. The team wanted to create a car that was both the fastest Corvette of all time, one of the fastest cars ever built...

Bob must not get out much. There are much better and much much faster cars out there. The Bugatti Veryon with it's 1000HP W16 is better than 50 MPH faster than any production Vette ever. The Koenigsegg CCRX will probably be the fastest limited production car ever. With it's 5 liter twin super charged V8 pumping out 1018HP and the car weighing in at 2932 lbs at a price nearing $2M it is a bit pricey but what do you expect for a car that should not have a problem playing with 250 MPH. 6 of the 1018HP cars will be built and 1 is already spoken for as of a month ago.

I always have had a love affair with Vettes. My Mom's brother had a '63 with a 427 in it when I was growing up. I'd love to own one. I really like the C6's. Probably my favorite after the big block Stingray's. I think it would be cool if they would really bring it up to the quality level of other great super cars.

The old ZR1 engines were actually designed by Mercury Marine, Yes Mercury Marine!!! The northstar was kinda a copy cat of that 32 valve V8 and has really been the only descent overhead cam engines GM has had. Vettes are Great. God every time I drive one at work I think someday I'd love to own one.

FuzzButt said:
I can't wait for Top Gear to do a test of it out on their runway. I still have the episode where Jeremy took the '06 Z06 up to 192 before he had to hit the brakes. Ya I know it is a British TV show but the American car shows suck.

Looks like one bad *** car. I might have to swing by the auto show if they bring it out next month.

I'm with you Horkn that thing should be 32 valve again. I know GM is still getting sick power from the push rod motors but the OHV motors of the top car companies in europe are just amazing. Have you heard the 4.2l V8 from BMW at 8000+ RPM? Sounds like music.

I think that poor man's Z06 (the stock car in any form you want with a STS turbo kit) is a nice idea. Good price too for the horse power. Can you imagine if they actually engineer the car for that and add in "Stages" of performance depending on how much HP you want to buy. Seriously. Can you imagine the stock 420HP offering. Then the Stage one with a Turbo at 500HP. Then you just purchase a program upgrade to get as much boost as you can afford. I know Goodyear would love to sell you as many tires as you want to buy for it.

yep, I am to a be a V8 BMW owner this spring/ summer, once I find the right E39 540 (4.4l DOHC v8) or 2000-03 M5 with the hand built 5.0 DOHC v8 with 400hp.

Sold all my stangs, and now I want a practical car. yeah, practical since it has 4 doors, a 6 spd and 300 hp in the 540, or the 400 hp 6spd M5.

davessrx said:
The old ZR1 engines were actually designed by Mercury Marine, Yes Mercury Marine!!! The northstar was kinda a copy cat of that 32 valve V8 and has really been the only descent overhead cam engines GM has had. Vettes are Great. God every time I drive one at work I think someday I'd love to own one.

I did not know that about the ZR1's of yore. I do know that it is hard to find a mechanic that knows how to work on the old ZR1 motors though. Even in vette mags this was mentioned a lot, well, back in 99-00 when my ex fiance's dad really wanted a vette.

I am a blue oval guy at heart, but I am German, so the BMW fits the bill. If ford made a rwd performance mid size car, then I might lean that way. But I have always loved M5's ever since I got to ride in one on the Autobahn running late for my plane back in the summer of 92. I know we had that old inline 6 powered M5 up over 160mph....

Back