Rail extension and paddle track upgrade ?

kennif

Hi all, I'm new to this great site. Recently aquired my brothers 00' SX600R from MN. I live in CO and want to get this thing modified for mountain riding. It's stock right now and I've been looking into the options as far a as rail extensions: TracksUSA, Hartman. Was looking for anybodythat does mtn. riding and has done this conversion/mod. Also looking for additional info on tunnel clearance and what's easiest and best. Looking to put a 2" paddle on and I understand I have to go to the 8 tooth drive gear, but what I also need info on are the chassis risers. Can you install longer drops from factory location or do you need to relocate them?
Your input and info is much appreciated.

hartman, bar none, is your best choice. yes, you will have to drop to 8 tooth drivers. hartmans kit comes with drop brackets, relocates the skid down and back. if your posess the necessary skills, you can do the relocate yourself and just pick up some rail extensions. 141" minimun. 144" better. also think about narrowing front stance. i have done several long track conversions using relocations. also, clutching and gearing will come into play.

go with hartmans 151" and do not forget anti-ratchet drivers, lower gearing while it is apart. Next time my sled is in Lafayette I'll try to e-mail you so you can see the set up first hand.

rangerider said:
I think 151" might be to much for a stock 600 I'd go 144"

I was thinking about the better floatation in the deep powder out here. He may be a little down on power but with lower gearing should be fine. A lot of the best riding around here is big rolling meadows with snow over the hood and tree bashing from one meadow to the next where power and track speed does not matter that much.

Well I'm gonna have to do some riding first. I do know the snow conditions in CO as I do much backcountry skiing and boarding in the winter and I know a 600 is no power house but I might be able to get by with a 151, definately need the float.
Now this sled has 20/39 stock gears, do I need to go lower than that with the 8 tooth drive ?
Also, what is the main advantage of the anti-racheting drive gears ? I have never switched these out.

A K, do you have any suggestions on where to start with rejetting on a 600 tripple ?

I am not a fan of the Hartman extension kit, or any other modification that moves the skid back. I pitch forked my track not long after installing a 141" kit on my stock 136" MM700 (1997). The mod leaves too much room between the drive axle and the front of the rails, allowing the track to whip too much as it comes around the drivers.
My advise is to find a 2001 or newer skid from a Mountain Max and bolt it in. I ended up finding one on-line, and have no regrets.
You still need the tunnel extension (Hartman's is nice).
Dont mess with skid relocation!

I would suggest finding a used skid also and then get everthing else from hartman. I extended my 121 with hartmans 151 kit and I thought the rail extensions were weak because I bent a set pretty easily. I just found a used mtn skid and now I am happy.

Last edited:
Just extended a MM700 from 141 to 151 with a Hartman kit.
It is practically fool proof and looks virtually stock.
Talk with Tom, he will help with decisions about driver size
and gearing. He can probably advise you about track spearing
on a pre 2000 machine as well.

I threw my proaction in the dumpster this weekend and installed a cat 141" set back for a 151" camo. Got the tunnel extension from Hartman. Shallow aproach angle, weighs less than the 121" I took out. Cant wait to get to the Snowies.

Ok, so I'd like to entertain the idea of replacing the whole skid. Cost is a factor. Can anyone recommend where to look for used mtn. skids. Also what's the deal with putting other brand skids in Pol. Cat. etc. I've read people do it, but what's involved? Do they just bolt up like a Yami would ?

Also I understand that skid reposition addresses 2 issues, correct me if I'm wrong. 1 - the attack angle of the track 2 - clearance for a 2" paddle track on a sled like mine. Or is 2 soley solved by using 8T drive gears. Been looking at mine and I see where the 8T driver will do its job, but not much clearance in rear 3/4 of tunnel.

I paid $300 for a takeoff 141 M7 skid with Fox prozero shocks. Look on Snowest swapmeet section for skids and tracks. Im finishing up the extension now which is a little more work because Im going to use my SRX rear cooler instead of the crossover tube. Took me about 8 hours to fit the skid and install it. Half of that time was measureing and remeasuring. By the time Im all said and done the cost is going to be a wash vs. buying rail extensions etc.

Back