Clutching questions on 02 MM700 mod. HELP!!

sledneck84

I am having trouble with throttle response at high elevations, it runs strong in mid range and top end. but bottom end has weak power. Have jetted many different ways and still not what i am looking for. Here is my setup,hope someone can help.

02 MM700 W/ Lightning Pro Stage 3 Porting
Team Secondary
Heel Clicker STS3HC 40-10Y In Yamaha Primary
No screws in primary weights
Jetting:
PTO: 146.3
Center: 148.8
Mag: 147.5
needle: 3.5
Pilots: 50
FuelScrew: 1.5 Turns
Simmons CPR Triple Pipes

Any suggestions would be great, it just acts like theres to much weight to turn, because it rips at lower elevations.

secondary setup, elevation, and rpm's?
no one around here had much luck with heel clickers. i switched to a polaris p-85 primary along with my team secondary and made cluthing my mod much easier.

Post what altitude and any engine mods (like pipes) other than porting. Here is a example of all the info necessary to get good help.

Here is what I'm running. I ride at 8,500 to 11,000 with this set up and get about 8-9 MPG. I'm a hair lean at 8,500 and a hair rich at 10,500
PTO 145, CENTER 147.5, MAG 147.5, Pilots 45, Needles 2.0, Air screws 1 7/8.
Torsion spring silver, Torsion cam 43 degrees, 100 degree twist on secondary.
13.3 steel outer riivet, 13.3 Alum inner, 8DN 10 weights, Green-White-Green spring
I engage at 4,050 rpm and max out at 9,100 out of the hole and settles to 9,000
21 x 40 gearing. I forgot to mention I'm jetted for 0-20 degrees air temp. If its colder out I my sled runs a little lean, warmer is richer of course.

Last edited:
Seems to me jetting is too fat, across the board. When I was leaving at 8000 to 10000 it was 135 across the board, needles at 2.5. Now there are quite a few variables to take into account. Right now at 2500 I'm running 140 and em a little rich. I think you are way to fat for that levation.

The heel clickers have to much heel weight for elevation riding. Been there done that. Wasted 2 trips trying to them dialed in. Go to 8CR weights with 10.3 alum rivits in each hole and a black heelclicker spring. That should get your clutching closer. Your jetting is also too fat for elevation and pipes. Go to something like a 60 pilot and 135 straight across. These are slp spec but should get you closer. You can also give Jeff Simons a call and see what he recommonds for his pipes. Not sure what your porint changes....

my srx was doin the same shit when i was in the horns no bottom end like i have at home. top end and midrange were fine though. i to have heelclickers. my rpms were spot on though on top. 8500

jr_amsoil said:
my srx was doin the same shit when i was in the horns no bottom end like i have at home. top end and midrange were fine though. i to have heelclickers. my rpms were spot on though on top. 8500

Yep heelclickers will do that. I always thought it was my jetting. Tried different jetting\twice and then went to an ATTAC... Then on one trip to Cooke, I was fed up. Pulled the heelclickers for the stockers set up correctly.. WOW. It was a whole new sled. Heelclickers in 90% applications do not work in elevation for mountain riding. They are adjustable but... are made for low elevation riding mainly lake racing and trail riding. Tried both the hammertimes and the orignals. Plus I also used their roller secondary. I thought I was sold on everything they created... Needless to say I have nothing heelclicker in my sleds...

2001 700 Mountain Max
Ride powder between 3000 and 6500
Mods - Bender pipes and Atacc, hartman 151, mpi transfer straps
wahl extrovert drivers, 5.5 rox riser

Current clutching is stock except for
4.5 gram rivet inner
Aluminum Rivet in outer hole
* Yel-Wht-Yel (45 pre / 2.5 rate)
* 70deg Secondary Pre-load
Jetting as per Bender spec at -30C.
Let the ATACC adjust from there
Launch rpm is about 8700 then it settles to about 8500
I ran this set up all last year and enjoyed not messing with it

yeah the air box is modded, i have my jetting dialed in, plugs look great. it has to be in clutching. heading to black hills this weekend, should be a blast. lots of new pow. it always runs good out there, just up high not so good, gotta be to much weight or something in primary?

Back