Mm700 Belt Squeal At Idle

RLINCOLN1231

Purchased This Sled Used This Year, Installed A New Gates Extreme Belt, It Has A Bad "squeal" At Idle And Wants To Walk Away From Me. Is It Something As Easy As A Clutch Alignment? Or Do I Look Somewhere Else?

There's 3 screws on the back of the secondary that have washers under them. You have to put thinner washers in there to lower the belt in the secondary to stop the squealing. Your center to center might not be set right too like the clutches might be too far apart.

Belt defection needs correction like said above,it's too tight right now need
to remove or put thinner washer's in each bolt, and or check CtoC..should run a OEM belt too.

is that the right belt?

scan0001shevebolts.jpg

crop.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't those specs for a 600? The 700's are supposed to have the belt .5mm below to 1.5mm above instead of 0-2mm below. The width is different for the 8DN belt too, it's 34.5mm new and 32.5mm minimum.

Yama49601 said:
Aren't those specs for a 600? The 700's are supposed to have the belt .5mm below to 1.5mm above instead of 0-2mm below. The width is different for the 8DN belt too, it's 34.5mm new and 32.5mm minimum.
I thought the specs Damon posted were for a twin also.

Like they said, belt is sitting too high in the secondary. This pulls the belt tight on the primary shaft and causes the squeal. If the sled is walking away from you, I would start with no washers at all and go from there. The bolts wear down also, if they're wore too bad get some new ones to put in. The belt may not be the right size like Daman hinted at, sounds like your quite a ways out of adjustment. Like his pic shows, the farther the bolt goes in, the further apart the sheaves and thus farther down your belt will sit.

Lift your track up off the ground (safely!) and run it some to get the "cold" out of the track. Let the track slow back down to idle on its own, don't use the brake. Your track will spin like hell right now from the sounds of it at idle. You want it to barely creep, move with jerky movement, or be easy to make move with slight help from you. You also want the belt to sit at whatever spec is for your sled in the secondary. Flush with the top is usually pretty close. If the belt is sitting too low, its like taking off in a higher gear and really hurts your performance. When everything is right, the belt sits where its suppose to and the track creeps a little.

Yes they do,,, but it depends on what sled your talking about vs belt
ride height..

i was commenting that your right on that the track should creep a little.

Back