2001 sxr 700 high temp codes?

mezbed

What do the temp codes mean?
My sled temp light flash once for a half second followed by 3 quick flashes.
according to the owners manual it is the #2 pattern listed. What does that mean? Thanks for any help!!!!!

Shorting of the water temperature sensor is detected. If you have the owners manual it's on page 8-44.

Last edited:
Thanks for a fast response!! so just follow wires back from sensor looking for a open wire?

I'd check the wires then if those aren't bad the sensor itself must be shorted. It shouldn't be an open wire if it's literally shorted. But the term short gets way overused. Opens are more common than shorts.

The connector on the head seems to be a soar point on these red heads. Same thing happened to mine. A wire broke right at the sensor on the head. You can get a replacement for like $10.00 from Yamaha.

thanks again I just pulled the plug and when I bent it back to check it snapped right at the base of the plug. going to replace plug and go from there!! thanks again

dUE YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHAT THE PART NUMBER IS FOR THAT PLUG i CAN'T FIND IT IN THE PARTS BREAKDOWN. THE WATER SENSOR LISTS AS A ASSYEMBLY. i DON'T KNOW IF INCLUDES THE NEW PLUG FOR THE SENSOR OR NOT? THANKS

It is an after thought from yamaha so you need to talk to a dealer that knows what he is talking about. It is not on any parts fiche. There is a part number for it but I can't remember it. Some dealers may try to sell you a whole new wire harness. Do some digging. It is called a water temp sensor connector.

If you are talking with your Yamaha dealer make sure you tell him that it will be in his Tech update bulletins. The phrase to use would be Thermosensor harness coupler.

Good Luck

Thanks for your help I will start the digging as my dealer parts department is pretty bad...I had to show him where the sensor is in the fiche...!

mezbed said:
Thanks for your help I will start the digging as my dealer parts department is pretty bad...I had to show him where the sensor is in the fiche...!
LOL.....oh no, good luck

Wow I never knew that about the red heads. We have a 97 with 7200 miles and it has yet to happen. Good luck.

Back