What Would "Handle" Better On The Street???

ExpertXViper

WR or YZF I know the frames are diff. between the 2, checked the 08 part numbers and they are diff. Im just looking to find out which would handle better on the street, cause I imagine they have diff rakes between the 2. I know which one would be "quicker"(YZF) and which one will be "faster"(WR), which faster on top end gets my vote over quicker. Just looking for any facts or opinions on running these bikes on the street.

The Wide Ratio tranny in the WR would be a definate advantage for streetability, I have thought of doing one of these bikes myself just to play on and be able to hit the roads without to much hassle. In one of the latest Dirt Bike Mags they did a test between the YZF and the WR, they said actually in "most" cases other than all out racing they prefurred the WR for all around fun.

The 450 yz with 14/51 gearing is good for about 90 or so with 17" rims. Are you getting into sumo?

Neither is going to be much of a streetbike. The engines are designed for running wide-open, not for crusing at a steady speed for long periods of time.
Also, the cost of engine rebuilds would be a killer. If you put on a lot of miles, you would be rebuilding the engine often and at $1,500 a pop for topend rebuilds, its going to get real expensive, real quick.
One other thing to consider is that the DOT is a lot more picky in terms of what bikes they let you plate. It used to be that any bike with lights and blinkers could be licenced for on-road use, but nowdays they are really picky. Basically, unless it was a dual-sport bike from the factory, they probably wont let you licence it for street use.
Ive considered doing the same thing, but quickly learned it wasnt a good idea.
If you want a dual-sport bike, Id suggest getting a Honda XR650 or a Suzuki DRZ 400.

In WI we cant merely get away wtih lights and a set of signals and a plate to license for street use.

the wr/ yz 450 is nowhere nearly as high strung as the rmz 450 orthe kx450f motor. those mills would rule while they ran well. I thinka wr would be better for motrad use than the yz, due to the "relaxed " nature of the chasisi compared to the skiddish off road set chassis of the yz.

a drz 400SM is a fun track tool on the tight and twisty stuff. and makes a nice street bike.

I would love an SM for an urban assault to work bike. Heck, I only live 5 miles from work.

grapeape said:
The 450 yz with 14/51 gearing is good for about 90 or so with 17" rims. Are you getting into sumo?

Nope just looking for something to drive back and forth from work and bombing around town on short trips and beable to haul it up north and ride it where I want. I may longer down the road pick up some rims and tires to run on the road.

Bakeposer- how much actual experience do you have on the topic I posted???? You seem to know everything about everything but I recall you saying a while back that these Yami 4s engines are da** near bulletproof, are you saying now they wont be as reliable cause they wont be held "wide open" all the time. Maybe you can explain this one to me since you know everything, I have a 00 CR250(8 yrs old) all Ive ever done to it since Ive owned it(bought used in 02) is normal maintaince, 2 rering jobs, adjust the PV(done each time when reringed), replaced clutchs plates/springs, change crankcase oil after every or every other ride, and run Honda Syn 50:1 premix(32:1 is stock recc.), and 93 octane. Ive ridden this thing at slow crusing speeds, wide open, and in tight slow twisty trails and yet the bottom end has been cracked open. IMO machines like these are only as reliable as there owner if not care for its not gunna hold up.

Horkn- Ive already look into having one street legalized in MI, as long as it has a horn, turn signals, brake light switch, headlamp, DOT approved tires its eligiable to be used anywhere in MI.

Last edited:
Bake- The average person riding these bikes like suggested will likely never have to rebuild it. $1500 for a top end rebuild? Your smoking some good stuff, I blew my quad up YFZ450 needed crank, piston, rings everything except a cylinder and head pretty much. You know how much that was for a Wr 450 setup about $400. Now i dont know where your getting $1500 for a top end rebuild?

Brett i would go with the WR. Your still keeping the CR aren't you? If thats the case you already got one bike that can be set to just go out and rip it up balls to the walls.

This is an older article and both bikes have improved a lot since then. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=68

TopGunnSrx said:
Bake- The average person riding these bikes like suggested will likely never have to rebuild it. $1500 for a top end rebuild? Your smoking some good stuff, I blew my quad up YFZ450 needed crank, piston, rings everything except a cylinder and head pretty much. You know how much that was for a Wr 450 setup about $400. Now i dont know where your getting $1500 for a top end rebuild?

Brett i would go with the WR. Your still keeping the CR aren't you? If thats the case you already got one bike that can be set to just go out and rip it up balls to the walls.

This is an older article and both bikes have improved a lot since then. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=68

Id like to sell the CR but the street value is so low its really not worth selling for the time/money I have into it and being in the condition its in. Plus is still hauls A$$ so its gunna stay with me for a while if not forever. I got quoted just under $6700 OTD for a 08 WR450 at Honda East in Ohio, but before I do take the pludge Im gunna see if a dealer around here will match it. Plus Yamaha's promo they have out right now is a pretty good deal $69 at 8.99% till 2010. If do get one its diff. getting a slip on muffler sooner or later so I can be loud like the Harley guys. LOL

Last edited:
The biggest thing to watch on the yz's, and possibly the wr's as well is the cam chain. I try to replace mine at 30 hrs or so. I did notice on my 03 yz450 title that it said that it is not street legal, so you may want to look into that before you decide between the 2. On the other hand the yz450 is a great motard bike, and gets even better when you slow the suspension down a little.

Thanks for the tip Grapeape. What is the recc. hours in the manual to replace the timing chain? Just curious......Even though the title says in not street legal it doesnt mean it cant be converted to be used on the street at least in MI. From what I was told at the S/S and the Police Station, I could actually street legalize my CR but the conversion kit is almost double the price of a kit for an enduro. Plus Id have to worry about premixing at the pump and thats a hassle I dont wanna deal with.

ExpertXViper said:
Horkn- Ive already look into having one street legalized in MI, as long as it has a horn, turn signals, brake light switch, headlamp, DOT approved tires its eligiable to be used anywhere in MI.

thats cool, I know of one guy that took a wr250f and street converted it for street riding in Indiana. Here the DOT would never allow that, and it sux.

here they get into the propsed original use of the motor, and its emissions. Simply slapping a spark arrestor DOT legal muffler on it just does not cut it.

Here, you "might" get away witha drz 400 that was only offroad legal since the same model has been DOT recognized in the S and SM models. but that is all up to the guy doing the road worthy check at the WISDOT, and you would have to get lucky.

ExpertXViper said:
Thanks for the tip Grapeape. What is the recc. hours in the manual to replace the timing chain? Just curious......Even though the title says in not street legal it doesnt mean it cant be converted to be used on the street at least in MI. From what I was told at the S/S and the Police Station, I could actually street legalize my CR but the conversion kit is almost double the price of a kit for an enduro. Plus Id have to worry about premixing at the pump and thats a hassle I dont wanna deal with.

I highly doubt you would be able to street license a CR, since it is a 2 stroke. but I wish you luck if you choose to.

Honestly, the WR/ yzf would be a better choice, since the 250 t strokes are really peaky, and would be a handful, unless you ran at least a track day type street tire (pilot powers, M1 sportecs, the new Metz's, dunlop qualifiers and such). and yeah there is that pre mix PITA.

horkn said:
I highly doubt you would be able to street license a CR, since it is a 2 stroke. but I wish you luck if you choose to.

Honestly, the WR/ yzf would be a better choice, since the 250 t strokes are really peaky, and would be a handful, unless you ran at least a track day type street tire (pilot powers, M1 sportecs, the new Metz's, dunlop qualifiers and such). and yeah there is that pre mix PITA.

Im curious why you think I wouldnt beable to street leagl a 2S. Most scooters are 2S which are street legal right out of the crate. KTM still makes 2S enduros, which I have seen up north with MI plates. If it wasnt for the premix and putting so much time/money into making the CR street legal I persoanlly would love to ride it on the street besides for the tires that are on it right now. Ill agree the motor is peaky but thats what makes 2S so much fun, and yes I have ridden my CR around my neighborhood and it a blast as long as it isnt wet out. LOL Been there done that

yeah, most scooters are 2 strokes, ut the EPA hates 2 strokes. I think it has to do with engine size. scooters are allowed because they are small and apparently dont make as much emissions due to this.

if the EPA hates them, then the DOT usually does too.

That reminds me of Bimota in the mid 90s. they stuck all thier R&D $$ into a bike called the V-Due, a Direct injected 90 degree LC 500cc streetbike. It was clean, very clean emissions wise, but due to it being a 2 stroke, it was not allowed into US soil (for street use at least), a market that Bimota had really planned on selling a lot of these bikes in. That slap in the face eventually killed Bimota as it were, and the company has changed hands at least one time since. I wanted one of those BADDDDD!!!
The only KTMs that are listed as street legal in the US are 4 strokes, but MI may have a law that IMHO rocks.

If you can register a 2 stroke MX/ enduro in MI thats awesome, and I would be really jealous, since we can't register anything like that here across the little pond in WI.

yeah, I grew up just far enough out of town in the country that I could ride dirt bikes, sleds, whatever all over. I have sheared enough lugs off while riding my MX bikes down the road as well. It's always fun until you get the bill for a new tire. LOL

Back