loss of spark, sometimes

jvizzacc

I got my 98 srx7 started for the first time this year and now it starts and idles. But when you give it throttle it just starts spurting and popping but not all the time. Sometimes it will run with no problem on the throttle, but on the way down it does the same thing, pops and spurts. Cleaned carbs before we even started it. Started it with one plug out and when letting off the throttle the spark plug lost spark for a few seconds. You could almost hear a backfire building, but it didn't backfire. There is 2 wires coming off the carb that appear to be the TORS wires. I disconnected them and left them both open and closed but had the same results, pooping (popping) and sputtering. Sure seems like an ignition problem. ANyoone got any ideas?

Check all wiring connections. Had a cousin with SRCx think it was a CDI box and it ended up being one of the plug in connections. Not sure which one though.

I had similar problems. Sled would spark sometimes, And then at time would sputter out. Changed the CDI unit and good to go!

Wow. These replies are all over the map.

1. EXACTLY how do the plug boots come off? I checked these things out and it looks like one piece of solid wire from the boot to the coil. I did not see any way of seperating them.

2. Had the motor out last year, checked wiring harness, no rub thru.

3. When you say "one of the connections" are you referring to the connections between the carb and the engine (and ENG and TORS)?

4. Stator. That requires pulling the engine, doesn't it? If the stator is bad, how would i test it?

5. CDI box. I have a working CDI box out of a 01 SRX. Can I swap it right in to see if that's the prob?

THanks all!@!!!!!

:2strokes:

take the TORS wires and plug them back into themselves (complete the circuit). Just unplugging them will cause the TORS to activate. just a thought. No you dont have to pull the motor to change the stator and you can test it fairly easily. The wires coming out of the stator can be checked for resistance and that will tell you if you have a stator problem. You either need to look up the specs in the service manual or someone on here may have the specs for OHM's. If you just had the carbs out I am guessing the throttle cable is too tight and it is a TORS problem. My $.02 good luck

Last edited:
Have checked TORS using method described. No diff. Trottle cable der not too tight.
Stator would also cause lights, etc. to fail which they work fine.

Just talked to a Yamaha mechanic. We discussed the problem and came up with this. Since bypassing TORS is not making a diff and the machine acts as if it is a TORS problem, he says its the CDI box because the TORS system signals to the CDI box to cut the spark. And since TORS appears to be working fine, we're left with a CDI box. Will keep y'all posted. THanks

It is actually my sled. Nothing new yet. I am going to get into it probably tomorrow. Only question is Will a CDI box off an 01 work for testing on my 98? I know the the electrical is a little different because of dual headlights, but i hope it works. :2strokes:

Update ...

Have done EVERYTHING and the damn thing still has a problem!

Removed engine last night (couldn't get mag off). cleaned mag and stator, they look ok. have changed cdi box, bypassed tors, checked for chafed wires. Put it all back together and same problem!!!!

ARRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!

This is really pi**ing me off!

Please somebody help!!!!!

I missed the whole season this year (partially due to laziness, but I'd like my machine to run!)

Thanks all

Can't afford to take it to a dealer for diagnostics.

Anyone live in the Livonia, MI area and wants to take a stab at it? I'd really appreciate it to the tune of Canadian beer!

THanks.

I would find a replacemnet stator on Ebay. My 04 Viper was doing a similar thing. It would run fine, then cut out at about 6k. I removed and checked the stator, everyhing looked good on it, no loose wires, etc. I found one for $50, installed it, and no more problems!!

Get a ohm meter and check the stator according to spec also check coils and plug wire end caps. Rule out everthing that can be tested before replacing parts. Lots cheaper. The stator is 210+- 10% white/red white/green wires. I don't remember what the coils are but it sounds like the stator to me.

Tested all and found 2 bad plug caps. took 2 good ones off a 01 and put on.
tested stator, OK with static test.

Same results.

Is it possible that stator fails only under load or when hot? SRX runs OK for the first couple minutes, then fails as it gets warm. ALSO. there's no coolant in it. It never runs long enough to overheat, but ... could this be causing a problem?

Thanks all.

I'd guess stator after all the tests.
Yes, the coils in the stator could be heating up and expanding causing a temporary short.

Dunno, this sounds like a tough one...but seeing as I just replaced the stator in my 98 as well...it wouldn't surprise me if yours was gone too!

After doing a search I found this old thread. I have the same problem now. Did you find a fix? Help please.

Back