A friend was hurt yesterday

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
This is just a reminder that we have to slow down on unfamiliar trails/roads.A bud and fellow club member was in an accident yesterday while on his way to a local cookout/fund raiser and broke his left femur,punctured a lung and possibly may have a problem with his spleen.Too much speed on a icy powdery snow covered road in unfamiliar territory.Luckily the road was passable so the ambulance could get to him and there were lots of people there to help the EMT's get him up out of the spot he landed in.Not that it diminishes the severity of what happened but at least it didn't happen on a sanctioned trail so there shouldn't be any fallout towards any of the local clubs.

as i get older iam happy to cruise at 50 or sixty mph not in a rush all the time like i used to be plus i been with people who have crashed its not a good feeling good luck to your friend

Sorry to hear about your friend. I hit a tree in the UP 18 Years ago and everyone thought I was dead. They were right behind me and saw every thing. I was on a 80 Exciter and the suspension had broken and I did not know. Although I did not brake any thing I have had back problems ever since. I Just got into riding again 3 years ago and now catch myself looking at which tree I am going to hit if I go in too hot. Now every one has to wait for me after long rides.

ya same here my buddy 2 years ago nearly died from a freak accident, we all stoped for a leak and short conversation as to direction we wanted to go, snow conditins were not good and sizemec crew had cleard some snow in the ditch just on the other side of the approach and we had stoped before that then took off from that spot and he was the last one to leave so he was in a rush to catch up hit the approch then over the plowed up snow then landed in the cleared out spot and got bucked off head first like swan dive broke all his ribs rupered his lung and bruced his kiddney and had some internal bleeding spent 2 weeks in the hospital after seeing that made me think u don,t have to be going that fast to really be hurt, 2 years later he still talks about it and said he was not going that fast when it happened, so he,s very carefull now.

Dear friends, if you stray from the trail or go nuts with the speed in unfamiliar territory, at least get your affairs in order and write a bulletproof will before you go out. To give an example, just West of London near Komoka there is a manmade lake. I drive past it almost every day. After a quick freeze and snow, there might be an inch of ice and a couple of inches of snow on it. A few warm days and it's back to water. If you did not know it, I guarantee that you would think this was an excellent place to try opening it up, and in seconds you would be either sitting on the bank soaked and shivering and sledless and humiliated, or going to your great reward. But I guess we all do stupid things. I did one such thing last night, and I share it here for the benefit of our younger riders. I decided to go sledding alone, at night, on unfamiliar trails. I kept on going looking for that elusive watering hole to sit and get a coffee at before turning back. And by the time I decided to turn back, the turns I thought I had memorized started to get fuzzy. The whiteouts also were cause for concern. Anyway, after doubling back a few times, and fidgetting with trying to get a GPS fix on my Blackberry, I finally made it back, but not before asking the good lord to help me out. Riding alone, bad idea. CDI gives out without any cause or reason, and you're walking.

the news is reporting that a local 44 year old man was killed on a sled on silver lake in bucksport this weekend. speed was a factor, he hit a tree. so my point is even if you are familiar with the area such as he was you can and most likely will have a problem at some time if you dont use common sense.

blue

I hope your friend gets well soon. I just returned from the U.P. of Michigan yesterday with a group and one guy had to be a smart a$$ and do donuts with his longtrack sled in the parking lot right before we loaded. Well it ended up catching an edge and going on its side. It crushed his lower leg and now he has both bones broken and will be getting a rod put in. How stupid was that??

Wish him a speedy recovery. This must be a bad luck weekend. I cracked a rib this morning. I was out drift busting and one of them wasn't as soft as the rest. Well i went airborne(which was fine) but when i came down i took a hard bounce and at the same time my right ski caught another drift and sent me flying. Good news the sled stayed upright.

I hope your friend gets well fast, he's lucky that help got to him and that he's going to make it. I peeled one of my best friends off a tree last year, he did not make it. We don't know how fast he was going but it was just fast enough to kill him. We'll never know exactly what happened or why. Our lesson was always be prepared for the unexpected. It took 2 hours for help help to arrive to our location and even if had survived the impact he probably would not have made it to a hospital. Since then we are all more prepared to assist in our own rescues and I have even volunteered as a first responder with our local Fire Dept. If you ever happen to be there when one of your friends goes down hard I hope you have the skills to help them survive.

Back