Heated shield hook up

jaydaniels

VIP Member
As the title says, where do you actually wire the heated shield to? I just bought an SRX and the previous owner must have connected it incorrectly because when I plug my shield in my oil light comes on and the shield does not work.

The one going to the dimmer switch under the pad. It's regulated power. Blue possibly with white stripe. I know newer stuff has the white stripe but yours might just be blue. The one going to the dimmer switch though is the one you want. Any of the wires with blue on them are from the regulated source.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my father has a garmin GPS that must be plugged in to work he wants to hook his cigerrate lighter up to it so he can run it. how would he go about doing this since he does not have a battery???

The GPS will work on a sled without a battery when the sled is running.

The GPS may require DC current and depending on the model of sled, it may be a full or partial AC system. The lighting system on my electric start 1997 trailing arm sled is AC.

Back to the heated shield connection, I have located the blue wire but where which would be power, but where do I connect the ground?

I ran Mine thru the heated grips wires. corect me if Im wrong. The grips are in a paralel sercut. not a series. So I patched in where the power for the grips comes up thru he handle bars for the POSITIVE + and the GROUND - I fed down thru the wiring harness and conected the ground to the frame where there was already a factory ground. just clean up with some emroy paper then atach.
THats what I did, may be wrong, we'll find out this week,..i hope...

BenderSRX said:
Would this be the same for a Venom connect to the blue wire? i need to do this also for the girlfriends sled
Yes...it is the most steady supply source...just peel back some wire ins. & wrap positive wire, then solder it followed by heat shrink wrap/tape...should be good...now for the ground I always use the a bolt on the handle bar/tower brace & not the steering post...too many moving parts, does not make for good ground...it will work, but not well...test plug & then shield element...I usually let about 6-8" hang out from the handle bar pad on the brake side, nice & clean...

the blue wire under the pad goes to the dimmer switch, this applys only to the 2000 up sledsor 2001 depending upon which model, or 300 watt chergiing system(dual bulb headlights) its dc power.
On the old single bulb sleds, its AC power there, you have to go into the brown wire off the key to get dc power on single bulb sleds.

the blue wire under the pad goes to the dimmer switch, this applys only to the 2000 up sledsor 2001 depending upon which model, or 300 watt chergiing system(dual bulb headlights) its dc power.
On the old single bulb sleds, its AC power there, you have to go into the brown wire off the key to get dc power on single bulb sleds.

I know this a really old thread, but I'm trying to wire my heated visor on my 98 VMAX. Are you saying I should instead be looking for a brown wire under the pad? I also need power to a new set of passenger heated grips I put on the rear of the sled. What's a good source to tap that would only be hot when the sled's running and could handle the load?

you need the brown wire off the back side of key switch on the single bulb headlight sleds, as the power for the headlights is ac current, not dc current.

Back