a great loss

cougar1985

after 14 great years i had to put my best friend to sleep today,i cant believe how much it hurts!im not a religious person but i want to and have to believe there is a doggy heaven !i will always love you BUDDY!what a sad day,sorry guys i just had to get some grief off my chest,i never realised how many tears i could cry in one frigging day for a special friend .it was the hardest thing i ever had to do .when my ex told me she was leaving i cryied 1/100th the tears of today.

One of our family dogs had to be put down this year. He was 17 years old. It's hard to let them go, especially since this dog was almost as old as I am. It's hard to believe that we got him when I was only four. But I reminded myself that there will be other dogs to bring joy to my life. It's hard, but there will always be good memories to remember. Sorry for your loss. Drew.

VenomMod said:
One of our family dogs had to be put down this year. He was 17 years old. It's hard to let them go, especially since this dog was almost as old as I am. It's hard to believe that we got him when I was only four. But I reminded myself that there will be other dogs to bring joy to my life. It's hard, but there will always be good memories to remember. Sorry for your loss. Drew.
thanks a lot DREW it means a lot that others undersand that it wasnt just a dog!
Picture114.jpg
not the best pic i have but its all i can find for now.
Picture048.jpg

Last edited:
daman said:
what happen cougar?? sorry for your loss buddy.....
thanks!mostly old age and a very large tumor on his belly ,it was his time but humans being humans we tend to hang on to false hope.being a single guy ,he was my children and friend rolled into one.i had to release him to go play with his friends in heaven as he was tired and sore,god bless you BUDDY!

My wife and I lost our best friend (AKC listing - Hemi Orange Mr. Pete, we called him handsome) a week after moving into our new house. I took a week off of work and we were basket cases for months. I like to think we concieved our son during that week of morning/bawling. I cried less when I lost my dad.

It was like he could read my mind. We spent three years together training daily for duck hunting. I've had a few dogs over the years but he was something special. A once in a lifetime friend that I still miss to this day.

I know it is hard to think of right now, but we found it a bit easier once we picked up Cole a few months after losing Pete. He was from the same father and even though he doesn't dive (Pete retrieved more than one diving cripple) or smile like Pete, he really helped fill the void.

Sorry for your loss and I do feel your pain.

Thanks everybody!Yup ,im one basketcase right now for sure,i will never forget him ,ever ,right now i cry like a baby when i think of him but im sure with time i will only smile ,i suppose its only natural but i feel like a first class heel right now.I have to remember that i saved him from death row at the humane society all those years ago and we had a wonderful 10 plus years together.Iwill someday get another dog to help with the giant hole that i have right now in my heart.It hasnt even been 24 hrs. yet so ive got to get to doing thing to take my mind off it,i will be going sledding this afternoon so that should help a lot at least till i get home.Again thanks everybody for you understanding ,i just had to talk about it a bit as it helps with the grief.

Dogs

I feel for ya also. I have lost my share of dogs and every one hurt. Even the ones that were a pain in my but. Get yourself back down to the Humane Society and adopt another pet. You will feel better and so will the dog. Hang in there bud.

SpartaSXr said:
I feel for ya also. I have lost my share of dogs and every one hurt. Even the ones that were a pain in my but. Get yourself back down to the Humane Society and adopt another pet. You will feel better and so will the dog. Hang in there bud.
thanks i will be but not just now .if anybody else is going through this right now check this out a letter from annie.http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/annie.html

I feel your pain . I lost my Golden after almost 15 years. I got her when my son was a baby and he cant remember time with out her. My older son woke up this spring to her in the living room. I had to scramble to take her out before my younger saw her. I was dog less for 6 months. One of my employees brought in a bull dog pup and we are hooked again. It takes time but you will make it through.

best friend for life. period

Just reading these posts is making me teary eyed. I have the love of my life reaching her golden years and I cant amagine losing her one day. It will be a bad bad day. Ive had this girl since she was 7 months and wasnt house broken. It only took me a week to break her and you guy are absolutly right this dog can comunicate just with her eyes. I know she understands what Im saying to her. The best thing is she a pitbull and her whole life of diving under water getting rocks and spending endless hours on the boat waiting for me to hook a fish has tought others what great dogs they can be if raised properly. This dog has been the best and is with me right now at my store. Kid play with her and she loves everyone. Im sorry for your loss but this post you started really hit close to home. I hope you can get through this tough time in you life. Took this pic with my blackberry camera so it kind of sucks but u get the point.

Attachments

• IMG00089 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00089 (Medium).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 2
cherish the time with them!make sure you safely store your pics too!i somehow lost all but 2 of mine and now im scrambling around hoping other people have pics as now im doubling bumming.he will always be in my heart and mind ,right now i terribly regret what i did even though in my heart i know it was the right thing to do.for me the worst is yet to come,i still have nascar raceday in the garage and he was a fixture there and thats when its really going to hit home bad.wild horses couldnt keep him away from that garage on sunday when the guys came over so its going to be tuff.i never thought a tuff steelworker could be so blubbery over this but there you go,lol, hope i didnt bring up any hard memories for anybody this was something i just had to do ,if i had of kept it in i would of snapped,i feel much better knowing theres lots of other people that undersand what im going through.in a few weeks i will get his ashs back then i will find a place of honor to bury him or place in the garage ?any ways thanks everybody and i will not post annymore so i can begin to heal or everytime i type i will be starting the waterworks again.god bless you all!

It made it a lot easier for me because I'm away at school, and they had him put down at home while I was away. We too had our dog cremated and have his ashes back. We plan on spreading him out in Lake Michigan since that's where he loved to swim and play in the water. That's probably when I'm going to lose it. On the bright side, I picked up another Golden Puppy here at school and I'm bringing him home over Spring Break. Parents are probably going to be pissed, but I think they'll quickly get over it.

IT is truely a sad thing I had to put my 12 year old Beagle to sleep a year ago it,s tough I,m sorry for your loss. And today we burry my friend and fellow snowmobiler who died on the trail in Munising lsat friday truely a shame. If anyone was riding east of muni friday night and might know something I would like to know what they saw or heard it was truely a freek accident thanks and again and sorry for your loss.
Please give info by P M thanks again, BILL

Last edited:
I lost my best friend almost 6 years ago, He was a 12 year old Bouvier that I raised from a puppy and I still get choked up thinking about him. He was the best dog you could ever ask for, he was weary of strangers (scared the hell out of them mostly) and strange noises but was very affectionate to friends especially children. He would never leave the yard, nor your side when you walked him, almost gaurdian like.

He seemed to know just the right time play, and always made me smile. I used to dread the day he would leave me, but it happened when I was away on business, almost as if he knew I could not bare to think of putting him down myself.

Some people say to get another puppy right away and it will help the grieving, but for me there will not be another dog any time soon. I cannot bring myself to replace him, because there will never be another one like him.

Sorry, I think I turned this into my own story here. Time will make it easier -The pain will subside, and rather than dwell on the sadness you will start just to remember the good things that good pets bring.

Rest in peace
Mans best friend - My best friend

sx its ok if you tell your story as i suppose deep down i wanted to be reassured that other guys also felt the same as me .went sledding today and had a great time but when i pulled in the driveway i stood at the door bawling for who knows how long before i could get up the nerve to go in to silence ,it was deafening.sounds like you lost a great dog and he lost a great friend too.

Im sorry to hear about your buddy passing. I dont have a dog (schedule doesn't allow a proper home) but I am a cat guy and they are not pets, theyre family. My oldest was diagnosed with a failing kidney 2 1/2 years ago but with a good vet and daily medication and a fluid injection hes still hanging on and sure seems happy. You got to love animals, they dont complain and seem to appreciate every day unlike most people (me included). Once before I left for a sled trip the wife said to be carefull and when I didnt pay too much attention she held him up and said "your animals need you". It really hit me and she knows I love him more than her (he was here first!). Take comfort in knowing you provided a great life for him. I gotta go Im tearin up. Hang in there.

Just dropped a tear & had to go hug my dog. The best medicine is a PUPPY! I can't live without them. Tonight at 2:00 AM when she needs to go out; i'll give her a hug because she's still here. I still have hard time looking at pictures of Lab i put down 3 years ago. Please hang on to memories & send us pics if you get a new dog. Now i'm tearing again...

Back